Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kaneke15 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2003, 10:17 AM
    Computer Freezes
    Can someone please help me?  I have an E-Machine AMD Duron 800Mhz computer with 768 RAM.  I have been having a lot of problems with my computer for the past year.  Whenever I am using it, either on the web, printing something or just using a program, the computer just freezes.  I have done all the updates possible to include purging unnecessary files, check disk, defgragmenting it, scan disk, going to the Microsoft update web site, using the help files to find something wrong, using two virus checking programs... all to no avail.  I even had it serviced and all they told me was that I needed to replace a RAM that I had that was bad.  I did all that and still my computer freezes up.  Always without warning and never at a specific time or with a specific program.  The only time that it always freezes up consistently is when I go into my MY Documents folder.  There it always freezes.  I scanned for viruses in that folder and it was clear so I don't know what it could be.  Also, I changed my video card thinking that it may have been the problem, but it changed nothing.  Well I am at my wits end and would love for someone to see if they can figure this one out.  Thanks in advance!!
    :D ;) :-[
    reza Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Dec 24, 2003, 03:21 AM
    Re: Computer Freezes
    Here is some suggestions to try:
    1- there might be an application that you installed and has some memory resident files that causes this unstable situation. Check it out, boot in Safe Mode and work with it around to see if it freezes or not. If it doesn't freeze, then you have a driver, memory resident file or something like that which makes you mad.

2- try to change your operating system.

3-if you changed it and still having the problem, check your bios setup settings. Make sure the cpu frequncy setting is set properly. You can load the default settings to be sure of that. Some motherboards has jumpers to de set. Using the motherboard manual check them to be capable for your cpu.

4- to isolate the cause of the problem, remove all additional cards that are intalled in your matherboard, such as sound card, network adapter, modem, etc.
    Now boot your system and see if it freezes.

Good luck ;)
    surf243 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2004, 10:54 AM
    First of all e-machines are known to have bad power supplies... They either don't last long or they give off too much or too less power. Of course not all of them are like this must usually they kind of suck.

Another reason is that your proccessor could be overheating... do you have a heat sink? Or fan? Open your computer case and just put a fan there and turn on your computer. If your bios has a utility in it to monitor the cpu temp then record it. Also you can get a windows program that does the same. Don't remember the name though. Pcchillin or something. I had an AMD once and it kept on freezing. What I did was unhook the power supply to the cd-rom and made sure that the only thing connected was my video card and hard drive (along with motherboard). It didn't freeze anymore... so I just added more fans inside my computer.

If this seems to work out great then close your case because it effects the air flow. Just install some more fans inside your computer. Or you can custom install a watercooled cpu.

So just reply and say if it worked or not.
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Feb 19, 2004, 08:21 PM
    Computer Freezes
    2- try to change your operating system.

Have you tried this?
    sammyh1961 Posts: 13, Reputation: 2

Sep 19, 2004, 03:10 PM
    Lots of good answers from people who know way more than I do, but since I have a simple mind and will attack the easy solutions first when mine kept freezing no matter what I was doing, I did the following. I downloaded various spyware and adware programs. I run 5 different ones to keep my problem from coming back. I use adaware(which was recommended to me by the computer repair shop) spybot (search and destroy) xoft which I found by mistake ;D ,spyware be gone and hijackthis. Along with my virus protector norton. My computer no longer freezes. Good luck it is very frustrating.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New computer freezes at random times [ 11 Answers ]

I just bought an HP a1560n Pavilion Media Center. It will freeze up randomly without any errors, blue screens, or anything, it simply stops responding. The only way to unfreeze it is to power it off. When I say it freezes randomly, I mean completely randomly. Sometimes it will freeze 10 seconds...

Computer freezes when scanning! [ 3 Answers ]

Please help, I am somewhat knowledgeable about my computer but I am stumped.:mad: When I run a virus scan or my adaware scan(by lavasoft) my computer freezes. It froze before I put the adaware on there. I have a WALMART computer. HP with windows XP. Can U guys give me any hints?? :)

Computer is freezing [ 2 Answers ]

well I'm having the problem that my computer continuosly is freezing. So I read that may be for some spy or other things my computer would have, so I downloaded hijackthis and did a scan but I don't know what should I do this is the hijackthis log Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2 Scan saved at...

Computer freezes to often, need help or sugestions please [ 1 Answers ]

Hello again it me with the crappy computer :eek: I am trying tofigure out how to make my computer stop freezing up every 10-20 mines when I am surfing the web. I don't know what it is because I can play games for 2-10 hours and no freezing up. Anyone know what I can do to fix this problem? And...

View more questions Search