Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Karen Gerow Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2015, 02:18 PM
    How would I go about having my 19 year old adopted by my future husband
    I have been with my boyfriend now for 7 years and we plan on getting married next year in 2016 the problem is he wants to adopt my 19 year old son who has a baby on the way so the baby can have his last name and so can my son. The baby is due in June. How do I go about this?Please give details for we don't have much time to play around on this.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 13, 2015, 02:34 PM
    Has the mother agreed to the name? You didnt mention if he is married or not to the mother. Also your son could seek a name change anytime he likes so long as it runs consistent with local laws. Depending on where you are some places do not allow for adult adoptions.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 13, 2015, 03:10 PM
    OP is talking about an "adult adoption", as opposed to an adoption of a child. If allowed in your state, the adult's son's natural father may not need to consent, and other rules may be easier too. But I assume that the OP would want to remain the son's mother. In that case, it is in some respects still a step-parent adoption, and as such the OP and her fiancé might still need to be married.

Consult an attorney in your jurisdiction, but I agree with Cdad: a name-change may be much easier.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 14, 2015, 05:49 AM
    I agree that the first order of business here is the mother. Unless your son is married to her, she has the say over how the child is named. So even if your son does change his name, she doesn't have to go along.

Even if they are married, she may have to agree to legally change her name.

And yes I agree that your son petitioning the court for a name change would be a lot easier than an adoption. Depending on local laws (any question on law needs your general locale as laws vary by area), you may have to be married to complete a step parent adoption or adult adoptions may not be allowed.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 14, 2015, 07:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    I agree that the first order of business here is the mother. Unless your son is married to her, she has the say over how the child is named. So even if your son does change his name, she doesn't have to go along.

Even if they are married, she may have to agree to legally change her name.
    Good point. Scott is referring to the mother of OP's expected grand-child.

It should also be noted that, depending on the state or country, the surname of the baby (as shown on the birth certificate) might be at the option of the baby's parents. Thus, for example, if OP's surname is "Adams", her boyfriend's surname is "Baker", OP's son's surname is "Cabot", and the baby's mother's surname is "Drake", the baby could be given any of those surnames, or any other surname for that matter (again, depending on the law if the jurisdiction).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is Florida law for my future husband to adopt my adopted daughter? [ 1 Answers ]

My ex husband has not seen her in over 6 years. Can my future husband adopt her in Florida once we are married? Do we have to notify my ex husband?

What is the future value of a 7%, 5-year ordinary annuity that pays $300 each year? I [ 2 Answers ]

What is the future value of a 7%, 5-year ordinary annuity that pays $300 each year? If this were an annuity due, what would its future value be?

My 11 year old wants to be adopted by my husband do I need her bio dads permission? [ 6 Answers ]

Do I need my daughters biological fathers permission for my husband to adopt her even though she wants this for herself? My 11 year old daughter wants to be adopted by my husband who is not her biological father but has been the only man she knows as a father and has supported her since she was 3...

My husband was adopted. [ 4 Answers ]

He has the original birth certificate. He has the name of adoption place. He even has his biological mothers name and birth date. He has her address at the time of the adoption (but that was 41 years ago) Still he can not find her on all the websites for find people? Where to from here?

Adopted in OH, Live in MD, husband wants to adopt my adopted son [ 1 Answers ]

I adopted my son 2 yrs ago in Ohio (single adoption), I live in Maryland. My soon to be husband wants to adopt him after we are married. Would we have to do it in OH or MD?

View more questions Search