Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TLandry22 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2015, 12:59 PM
    Indecency and disrespect
    My significant other is an employee of Iron Skillet in TX. She has amazing work ethic as she diligently, with a smile does her job day in and out, she has never called in, I speed to get her to work on time as we only have my vehicle to get us to and from destinations, she has no write-ups and goes in on her days off. She has unjustly with no probable cause been suspended for five days. It has served as an inconvenience, placing a strain on us financially, mentally, and emotionally, especially after the holidays. I am reporting specifically, the general manager and the lead of the store. I, as a witness amongst many can confirm that employees are constantly being mistreated and disrespected. The evening lead, drinks beer while on the clock. I know this because she, her co-workers and I have smelled beer on her breath on occasion and she has asked a customer to purchase and bring her a case of beer where she keeps them in the back of her vehicle. She has also brought her own personal food items to prepare such as a roast, T-bone steak and shrimp and I, myself, know that is prohibited. The lead has provided a three smoke-break minimum for the evening employees; although, she frequently leaves the restaurant at least 10 or more times to smoke a cigarette. I know this because as I'm waiting outside in my vehicle for April to clock out, I see her every 5-8min doing such. She consistently gossips about any and everything like a young school girl to customers and co-workers to the point customers complain to my sig. other, her co-workers and I about her attitude. I've witnessed many times and my only option is to shake my head in disappointment at her behavior.

She has also sexually harassed an employee and retaliates against anyone who he shows humble attention toward. I along with lady's co-workers have instructed her to call the corporate office to inform them of every indecent behavior noted. She refused in fear of retaliation because her manager has been ineffective as a GM as there have been numerous incidents that she has not acknowledged. She is never present during an incident as she sits in her office oblivious to the activities occurring inside and outside the restaurant. I dropped my lady off at work Sunday, Jan. 4th, drove all the way home which is on the other side of the city (a long drive). As I enter our home, I get a call from ladii crying saying," Come get me!" Upon my arrival she is hysterically crying saying the GM has issued her a five day suspension because the lead told the GM that my ladii was gossiping and threatened her life, which is unbelievable because she is a gentle, sensitive soul. The most she does when upset is cry. She gets along with most of the co-workers as do I being that the environment is what you make it.

The only employee that has expressed a problem with her is Lakeisha, Nanette's relative. The problem started when an employee angrily told my ladii that the lead was stealing her tips. My sig. other relayed the notion to the lead, the manager on duty, after the employee took the opportunity in the lead's absence to clock herself out due to her anger of staying past her scheduled time. I witnessed this incident sitting in the front of the restaurant waiting for my ladii as her shift was close to ending. The lead promptly called the employee to ask if she accused her of such and the employee denied it.

The next day, the lead told the GM about the mishap. My ladii worked that same day and during preparation for her shift, the upset employee deliberately shoulder bumped my ladii. She asked her if there was an issue that needed to be addressed and the employee responded," No, I don't have a f***ing problem!" I instructed my ladii to alert the GM before the problem escalates. Shortly after, my ladii was called to GM's office where the lead and employee were already present. The lead asked my sig. other to repeat exactly what the employee told her concerning her tips, she reiterated and the employee denied it again. Subsequently, all three ganged up on my ladii declaring her a liar and the GM, without knowing the situation or facts, threatened her a write-up for gossiping. I know this because I was present in the back of the restaurant internet surfing and my ladii came from the back crying. She filled me in on every detail and I again instructed her to call the corporate office as she was being treated unjustly.

Two days later, the lead gossiped to my ladii saying she doesn't know what is wrong with the employee but she is not doing her job. Also, another day, the GM assigned her to work the salad bar despite her being a server. GM told her she would be compensated on her next check $50 minus taxes, social security, etc... When the checks came only $6 was present. My ladii time after time alerted the GM of the mishap and asked her to fix it. The GM intentionally lied to her saying she did fix it in an effort to get my sig. other to leave her alone about it. She tried calling and the GM would instruct employees to tell her that she was busy despite the fact that witnesses saw her sitting in the office doing absolutely nothing, which I am told isn't unusual. Every time she goes to the GM to resolve an issue, the GM either rushes her off the phone or disregards the whole conflict. Instead of giving my ladii the courtesy of calling back, she would leave the store and become unreachable.

At the same time, a bill was due so the money was expected and my ladii was deceived until four more weeks when the actual and correct total was revealed on her check. The GM also displays indecency as she swears loudly and obnoxiously in store meetings with customers present. She is very non-chalant when it comes to the request of others. My ladii called yesterday to inquire about her scheduled days because she has a second job. She relayed her schedule to the morning lead, who then relayed the message to the GM concerning my ladii's schedule. The GM regularly keeps disregarding April and changes the schedule without giving notice to employees causing confusion and an unorganized workplace. My ladii's return day was supposed to be this Sunday but now she isn't scheduled to go back until who knows.

Right is right and wrong is wrong and it is completely wrong of the GM to interfere and attempt to destruct someone's livelihood. Now we are at a constant struggle day to day due to this inappropriateness. These employees are unprofessional and a bad representation of the establishment. They are morally degrading and unjust. I constantly witness yelling and screaming, degrading good employees and praising the unfit. It is blatant disrespect and needs to be addressed as I've been told that many complaints have gone through corporate and no action has been carried out; therefore, they continue to do as they please. Iron Skillet is one of the few decent restaurants Beaumont has to offer and I notice people enjoy frequenting, but it is unfortunate and disconcerting for a few employees to ruin an establishment with no consequences for their behavior, mind you these are grown women. There should be more decorum and restraint as I am sure it is very embarrassing for a couple to employ their sight to a screaming match between a customer and the manager. Ive called corporate myself as well as sent an email for documentation; therefore, neither can say the issues weren't presented.

What can we do if the GM decides to retaliate afterwards??
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 10, 2015, 01:49 PM
    I can't read all this; it's too long. I take it that April, significant other, and my ladii (??) are all the same person.

First - YOU need to stay out of her employment problems, and never should have called corporate, or anyone, or stepped in the middle of a conversation.
    Second, you are describing very common disputes. Except for the concrete problem of a paycheck, which SHE can call payroll about, there is just a lot of she said/she said going on, and management doesn't want to hear about it. Who gossips, who smokes, who accuses, who bumps, who lies... all part of the unfairness of work and being blessed with a horrible boss.
    And she is more likely to be fired for all this reporting, and for you being involved, than if she settled problems with each person she has a problem with.
    She needs to use her time off looking for another job! There is no labor claim to make, sorry.

(Your 'ladii' (lady?) caused a HUGE amount of trouble by telling the lead to her face that another employee said that the lead herself had stolen that employee's tips!!! Why, why? Of course that employee denied it when confronted in the management office!!! That alone could have gotten both of them fired.)
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 10, 2015, 01:56 PM
    Trying to change a culture requires many working as one, so in short your lady is outnumbered, and should be looking for another job if the situation doesn't change. Sorry guy you are fighting a power structure that only understand the bottom dollar and there are no real avenues for employees to address issues. As long as the bottom dollar is acceptable forget fighting a one (wo)man battle.

Even with your help she is basically alone. Maybe your local EEOC can help, if you have one, but obviously no customers have complained and that's what gets the attention of corporate, NOT ONE UNHAPPY EMPLOYEE, right or wrong.

EEOC contact info

http://www.yellowpages.com/beaumont-tx/eeoc

Don't expect immediate or favorable outcomes but it's a place to start for guidance in workplace matters. Facts and not feelings and facts have to be documented and provable.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 10, 2015, 02:24 PM
    While it's nice to know about the EEOC, this is not applicable to them.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 10, 2015, 02:25 PM
    That was quite a blog; gosh, expect what, expect her to be terminated. You should have stayed out of the conflict. You cant base a case on heresay, with no absolute proof of anything. Why do you think you were capable of intervening in this?
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2015, 02:49 PM
    With all of the trouble there appears to be in that environment, I also would recommend that she consider looking for employment elsewhere. She shouldn't mention that she is, but definitely she should start looking to see what else might be available in the area. Even she was able to have someone intervene and check out the situation.....was the GM of the Iron Skillet or the Petro, I can't imagine that she would want to continue working there.

Jan 10, 2015, 02:58 PM
    @ joypulv and @ tickle, That is what corporate is for and it is not a problem for me to involve myself and speak up. FYI she would be the seventh employee to call corporate in addition to numerous customers reporting them for the same thing. She already has a second job, I have documentation as does she. Smoking, drinking, gossiping are all reasons to alert corporate as I am sure they do not want their company presented in such a manner @talaniman thank you, I asked about EEOC and I was instructed by a local lawyer that it was better to call corporate as she is not the first or last employee to call and complain. Majority of the employees have already reported both employees for the same reason and more which I don't know the "more" because I am not them. Thanks again @talaniman

Jan 10, 2015, 03:24 PM
    @DoulaLC, She doesn't really, she just enjoys the camaraderie of her fellow co-workers minus one as do I. There are good people there enduring the same mistreatment. Also she enjoys the everyday cash as the customers are good people as well, love to talk and laugh with us on and off the clock. I don't work there and they've grown attached to me because as Ive been told they admire us. They are sweet people. Its just three bad seeds that give everyone a bad taste in their mouth. Also thank you, for being sweet as well.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 10, 2015, 03:27 PM
    You make a complaint with the EEOC ahead of any retaliation, specifically for the loss in pay for the 5 days she was suspended since you already have complained to corporate. At the very least you already have a documented attempt, pending ANY future actions.

You don't have to take my word for it, call and ask them yourself. That's what I meant by FACTS before FEELINGS. You are not privy to what others have done but things like unemployment benefits just in CASE, and a good name for her next boss (again just in case), MUST be considered just to cover her a$$, all due respect to your lawyer friend.

Been there done that, and "troublemakers" are all to easy to get rid of in Texas. Geez it's a phone call for crying out loud.

Jan 10, 2015, 03:36 PM
    @talaniman I will instruct her to do so, and her next and current boss knows her all to well. They have worked together before and he admires her for her diligence and work ethic, she is about to be a manager thanks to her next boss. How would she go about informing EEOC. I haven't called corporate as I respect her wishes not to do so.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Children's book indecency [ 3 Answers ]

I was reading a children's book to my daughter about the bus system when I noticed a woman with no top on and a nipple showing amongst the illustration. Can I sue for indecency?

Disrespect for Supervisor [ 2 Answers ]

A long-time employee (17yrs) has been rude, short and defensive with her peers, supervisors and patients for most of her tenure. Her poor behavior continues on a weekly basis and most recently she has been disrespectful of me as her supervisor. I am the practice manager and 9/12 she was demoted...

How to deal with disrespect. [ 3 Answers ]

So, I just move into this house with my husband 19 month old son. My best friend calls me after living here for 2 weeks and says her mom is kicking her out and has no where else to go. Along with this immature guy that is mooching off her and everyone around him. And now they have been living in my...

Husband allows others to disrespect me [ 5 Answers ]

I have been married for almost 15 years. In last the 2 to 3 yrs my husband has started being verbal abusive. But, to make along story short he allows his friends and family to say real hateful comments to me and has actually gone along with them . Then later will blame me for it and does not...

Disrespect for the Handicapped [ 6 Answers ]

My mother is wheelchair bound. This is not a small issue, as she is unable to use a walker at this point and weighs around 180 bpounds. My mother is 70 years old and so is my father who cares for her full time. Once a week, my father pays my son to sit for my mother for a full day. She enjoys this...

View more questions Search