Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cindy623 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2015, 05:54 PM
    My house stinks
    I rented an apartment 5 months ago. When I viewed it the windows were open and it smelled like floral air freshener. Landlord asked me to meet her to sign rental agreement at a different location an took security deposit. I asked if I could have access ahead of time to paint and clean. She said that I needed to put all utilities in my name first. I spent over $600 in deposits and when I went to sign lease the apartment had a bad odor. I questioned the landlord. She said she would scrub carpet with odoban and all apartment needed was airflow. I had paid my deposits, all utilities in my name and already rented out my home so I was stuck. She assured me she would make sure carpet was clean and odor gone. When I moved in the odor was terrible, my new neighbor said that another tenant moved in a few weeks prior and moved out 4 days later for you guessed it a terrible odor. I think that was the reason she did not want me in the apartment until after I was committed. I have asked her on many occasions to replace carpet. I sent letters all awhile paying my rent. No answer. My autistic son and daughter both have asthma and when they visit they have asthma attacks. I have had chronic respiratory issues also. I did not pay rent on the 1st and she txt me today on the 7th and said pay rent or tomorrow she is going to evict me. I told her I will put it in escrow until this issue is resolved as all I want is a healthy environment. She said see you in court. Can I just move? My autistic son visits often and this has caused him health issues. As well as the embarrassment of everyone who visits comments on the odor
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 8, 2015, 12:27 PM
    Can I just move?
    No, depending on what jurisdiction you are in there are varying requirements but, in general, you need to give her written notice that she needs to fix the situation within a certain time. Also, of course, you should follow the requirements so to make sure you are entitled to a refund of your deposit.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 8, 2015, 01:16 PM
    As noted, you can't just withhold rent. There is a procedure that needs to be followed depending on local laws. Since you haven't told us your general locale we can't check the local laws.

I would be on the phone with your local health department immediately. Get them to send an inspector. If you are having problems, then it is likely a health hazard and the health inspector will give you the ammunition you need to either force the landlord to fix the condition or allow you to break your lease.
    cindy623 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2015, 09:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    No, depending on what jurisdiction you are in there are varying requirements but, in general, you need to give her written notice that she needs to fix the situation within a certain time. Also, of course, you should follow the requirements so to make sure you are entitled to a refund of your deposit.

I sent her letter in November. She never responded. I have been getting txt from her saying pay your rent or I am evicting you ASAP. I held This months rent to get her attention and responded to each txt that I want to pay my rent but she needs to address the issues. She threatens me with an eviction on my record.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    As noted, you can't just withhold rent. There is a procedure that needs to be followed depending on local laws. Since you haven't told us your general locale we can't check the local laws.

I would be on the phone with your local health department immediately. Get them to send an inspector. If you are having problems, then it is likely a health hazard and the health inspector will give you the ammunition you need to either force the landlord to fix the condition or allow you to break your lease.
    I live in Center Township PA.

Quote Originally Posted by cindy623 View Post
    I sent her letter in November. She never responded. I have been getting txt from her saying pay your rent or I am evicting you ASAP. I held This months rent to get her attention and responded to each txt that I want to pay my rent but she needs to address the issues. She threatens me with an eviction on my record.

I live in Center Township PA.
    I was told that I can put my rent in an escrow account is that true?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 9, 2015, 09:42 AM
    Call her boss, and the health department. A documented disinterested unbiased third party account goes along way in court, or with her superiors.

Local Tenant Rights, Laws, and Protections: Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania Landlord Tenant Law

Repairs and Maintenance - Nolo.com

Renter's Rights in Pennsylvania | eHow

You have rights, know them and use them.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...ing-works.html

Step 5: File any court papers. Under some state laws, you must ask a local court for permission to withhold rent, provide compelling reasons why your rental is not livable, and follow specific procedures. You can get the necessary information and forms from the court or housing department that is named in your rent withholding statute. 

Step 6: Deposit your rent in escrow. In some states, you may have to deposit your rent with the specified local court or housing agency or in a separate bank account. Even if your statute does not require this, we recommend that you deposit the withheld rent into an escrow account held by a neutral third party. This will dispel any suggestion that you are withholding rent simply in order to avoid paying it.

If a court or housing department is not set up to handle withheld rent, try asking a mediation service if it will establish an account for this purpose. Or ask your attorney to deposit the withheld rent in the attorney's “trust account.” You can also set up a separate bank account of your own and use it only for withheld rent. 

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 9, 2015, 09:44 AM
    Yes you can withhold rent in lieu of repairs under certain situations. Pennsylvania Tenant Rights to Withhold Rent or “Repair and Deduct” | Nolo.com However a bad smell is iffy when the repair or source is unknown.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 9, 2015, 10:29 AM
    Generally, it is true, but it has to accompany other things. These sites may help:
    Pennsylvania Tenant Rights to Withhold Rent or “Repair and Deduct” | Nolo.com
    TENANT-LANDLORD HANDBOOK

You need to follow specific procedures before you can just withhold rent. You have to notify her in writing and use specific wording. You have to follow-up on it as well. Did you call the Health Dept like I suggested?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dishwasher stinks [ 8 Answers ]

I have read prior questions/answers on this subject but I never saw anyone post results. My built-in dishwasher smells like "really nasty rotten eggs". The smell is only when in use,but is strong enough that you can smell it outside(windows open). I do not have a garbage disposal nor do I have...

House water stinks [ 5 Answers ]

Our water is giving off strange smell and its not sewer gas smell either. We turned the water off to house for 6 months. Moved in.. A month later this faint smell starts in master bath when shower is running. Then it moved to master sink and commode when it is flushed. It is now very strong! It...

How do I tell him that he stinks? [ 16 Answers ]

Hello! I'm a little embarrasses asking this question :o but here goes... What is the best way to tell a guy that their penis/balls stink and they need to take a shower without sounding mean?? Thanks!

My Heat Stinks [ 2 Answers ]

I have went though and read a lot of the other answers and we have check out most of those things... When the air comes on it smell nasty, I can not stand the smell and I do not want people to come to the house. We have a septic tank with a leech field, but you do not smell it when you are...

Bathroom Stinks new house [ 1 Answers ]

We have a new house. Moved in 6 months ago. One of the bathrooms smells like a sewer. It's horrible! Some days A LOT worse than others. We don't even use this bathroom much. We do have a new septic tank.

View more questions Search