Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nowayjose123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2015, 03:21 PM
    Does my employer have to pay holiday accrual upon termination?
    I work for a California municipality where if a holiday falls on a normal day off, then we accrue the day to be used for another date. Holiday accrual does not cap out. Upon termination, does this have to be paid back to the employee like unused vacation time, or is it forfeited?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 6, 2015, 03:42 PM
    This sort of thing will be determined by policy in your specific municipality, and is usually published in an employee handbook.
    I know of no state law, and certainly no federal law, that would cover this.
    If not published, personnel won't lie to you, so just ask.
    Sometimes there are restrictions such as how long employment lasted.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 7, 2015, 05:38 AM
    There are no laws that require an employer to offer paid time off, period. So any benefit that an employer might offer is subject to their own policies.

If the policy of the employer is to pay out accrued time off, then this should be paid unless holiday accrual is specificalyl excluded or tracked and maintained separately.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a employer make you work on a holiday you have off as a salaried employee [ 1 Answers ]

Hello everyone. I a m a residential manager who is a salaried employee. My question is, is it legal to make a salaried employee work a company paid holiday for straight time?

How long time should an employer pay an employee after termination in the state of NM [ 7 Answers ]

How much time does an employer have to pay wages when an employee is terminated in the state of New Mexico.

How long does an employer have to pay an employee after termination in Texas? [ 2 Answers ]

How long does an employer have to get cobra insurance packets to an employee after termination?

The entry to record accrual of employer's payroll [ 1 Answers ]

The entry to record accrual of employer's payroll taxes would include?

View more questions Search