Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    weekend_warrior Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2015, 08:23 AM
    Sending money abroad
    Hi there,

I'm looking at sending a large amount of money (over 20K) to my father in Canada from me in the US. He is NOT a U.S. citizen but I am.

Is there some sort of paperwork I need to fill out?

Is there a gift tax or something?

I want to make sure I'm doing it all legal but the IRS doesn't seem to make this easy to figure out!

Thanks in advance for the info.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 5, 2015, 08:45 AM
    I can't answer any questions about whether your father would owe taxes in Canada on this gift, but as for your tax liability: you may give an individual up to $14K as gifts in a calendar year without any tax consequences - that limit is called the annual gift exclusion. If you are married both you and your wife can give him up to $14K each - so if you're married you have no gift tax issues at all since you are within the $28K annual exclusion for married couples, and you can skip reading what follows.

If you are single and give him $20K you must fill out a gift tax form (Form 709)and submit to the IRS, although assuming this is the first time you've made such a large gift to anyone you won't actually owe any tax. The reason for the form is to track the remaining portion of your lifetime exclusion from gift and estate tax - if over your lifetime you make gifts that exceed the annual exclusion by a total of $5.43 million or more, then you will start to owe gift taxes. Also when you pass away your estate will have to use a reduced value for the estate tax exclusion. So by exceeding the annual exclusion amount by $6K you reduce your lifetime exclusion by $6K. Bottom line is although it's unlikely that you'll any taxes it's a bit of a paperwork hassle - you'd be better off splitting the $20K gift into smaller gifts over two or more years.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 5, 2015, 08:48 AM
    The advice ebaines gives is golden.

I have only one addition: if the money is to be used in part to pay medical bills, you should pay those bills directly. Such direct payments are NOT considered to be part of the gift, and could get you below the $14K reporting threshold.
    weekend_warrior Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2015, 07:27 AM
    Ok thank you both for the answers.

I was was thinking I might be able to avoid the gift tax since my dad is not American and not living in the US but doesn't sound like that's the case.

Ill probably just just stay below the 14K then and be on the safe side.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 6, 2015, 09:19 PM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is sending money abroad exempt of taxes? [ 5 Answers ]

I am a US citizen. I want to send around $25K to my family in Europe. Do I get a break in US taxes?

Sending money abroad [ 1 Answers ]

I am a US resident (on work visa so considered a resident for tax purposes) and I want to send some money to my parents in India. The money will an interest free loan to help them out and they will probably pay it back in a year or two. Do I have to pay tax if I send in excess of the exempt amount?...

Taxes on sending money abroad [ 4 Answers ]

One of my family members abroad needs some short term liquidity. We're thinking I send money over, which they would give back in a few months and within a year. Do I have to charge interest on this even though it is so short (3-6 months)? Would I have to pay any sort of taxes if there is no...

Receiving and sending money abroad [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know if there is a limit on the amount of money one can send abroad yearly and if it affects that the money is being received by my person in my US bank account and then being sent abroad. Also, do I have to pay taxes on the amount I am receiving (money is for payment of work being...

Husband in debt due to sending money abroad to someone. [ 1 Answers ]

Husband in debt due to sending money abroad to someone, And seems to be addicted to loans. Which I say no. But would like advice how to get out of it. With or without him. We do have kids. 20, 18 and 15 all boys. Thought they always got on with him more then me. Which is why I put up...

View more questions Search