Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Healthyliving4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2015, 09:48 PM
    Deed a vehicle.
    Can you legally in NYC deed over a vehicle to someone whom is on disability so that it won't cause them any problems in the event of my death?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 4, 2015, 06:58 AM
    Yes, in NYC or anywhere else in the US But you would transfer title by signing the title certificate; a deed is for real estate (land), not for personal property such as a vehicle. What trouble are you thinking? And what does the fact that the person is on disability possibly have to do with it?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 4, 2015, 07:26 AM
    As noted a vehicle is not something you deed. In NYS every vehicle is issued a title certificate indicating ownership. On the back of the certificate is a form to transfer title. Simply fill out the form and give it to the recipient. The recipient then goes to a DMV office to request a new title certificate. There are some fees involved I believe. Once a new title is issued the vehicle is theirs and your death will not affect it.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 4, 2015, 09:08 PM
    Yep, a car does not have a deed, just sign the title over and have the secretary of state handle the transfer of ownership. However, you could be taxes on the price of what the car is actually worth.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 5, 2015, 11:57 AM
    It would help if you could provide a bit more information - the responses above are all about transferring ownership of the vehicle, yet you indicate that you are concerned about "problems" in the event of your death. Is it your desire to give the car to the other person now, or are you interested in how to transfer it in the event of your death?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 6, 2015, 09:59 AM
    And, as I read the original question, OP was concerned about "problems" in transferring title to someone "on disability". What kind of problems did OP have in mind?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 6, 2015, 10:08 AM
    I think the fear of 'problems' after death have to do with a question on the twice yearly re-application for Medicaid, asking if you stand to inherit.

Do not worry about the car being inherited. Even on the welfare types of benefits (SSI and Medicaid), you can own a car, and you can inherit a car. Just check no to that question. There may be a value limit on the car. No Rolls Royces.

Either one of you can continue to pay yearly taxes on the car (if any) and any other fees.

When my dad died, the hassle I had to go through to put his car in my name was enormous, involving numerous notarized documents and going to a 'main' DMV very far from me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to record new vehicle trade-in where trade-in value & cost of new vehicle [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2010 Chevy Silverado vehicle that we received $21,000 for on trade-in for a 2012 Chevy Silverado vehicle that was purchased for $17,000, and we received $4,000 back in cash on the purchase of the new vehicle. The 2010 vehicle was Sec. 179'd at a cost of $33,000 back in 2010 using the tax...

What is the speed of vehicle A when it impacts vehicle B [ 2 Answers ]

What is the speed of vehicle A when it impacts vehicle B which is travelling in the same direction at 10 mph and A makes B move 30 feet after impact?

View more questions Search