Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bestywells Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2015, 10:10 AM
    Can a landlord evict a singelmother in winter months for being late on rent
    Can my landlord kick me and my kids out threw the winter, for rent being late when I said I would pay the rent I have had one notice
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 3, 2015, 11:16 AM
    Yes and no. While there may be some areas that have laws against such activity, they are rare. That you have a contract that requires you to pay rent to live in the unit. If you don't pay that rent, you have breached that contract and are no longer entitled to live in the unit.

That being said, he can't just kick you out. He has to follow local law to evict you. Note: Any question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area. Since you didn't give your locale we don't know what laws apply.

Generally, the landlord can give you a pay or quit notice of 3-10 days (depending on local laws). If you can pay before the deadline you get to stay. If not, the landlord's next step is to file for an eviction order with a local court. This will involve a hearing during which you can plead your case. But unless there is some local law or social service intervention an eviction order will probably be issued.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 3, 2015, 12:01 PM
    Sorry to say that saying that you will pay doesn't count, having kids doesn't count, and it being winter doesn't count.
    While you are finding a way to pay, look into alternative shelter, and for the longer term, look into public housing or Section 8.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my landlord evict me because I was unable to pay rent due to an illness? [ 9 Answers ]

I have been unable to pay my rent because I have been sick and my fiancé stayed home to take care of our child because I was unable to. He has gotten back to work, but I still need surgery and will be unable to pick up my son for 4-6 weeks. Can I be evicted while I am in such bad shape, or is the...

Co-Tenant Hasn't Paid Rent in Months - Need to collect money and evict [ 1 Answers ]

Hello... I reside in Virginia. My roommate (co-tenant) has not paid their half of the rent/utilities for months now due to personal situations, but the matter seems like it is not going to resolve. How do I go about evicting my roommate and collecting the rent money owed to me? I have...

Can my landlord evict me because I got behind on rent because of workcomp injury [ 7 Answers ]

My landlord gave me a 10 day notice to pay or leave .I got behind on my rent because of missing 2 weeks of work at the end of October that lead to November .I had agreement to pay extra amonth till I got caught up.My rent is 425.00 a month and I have giving him 500-550 a mont since end of December....

View more questions Search