Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    susiew8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 3, 2015, 08:54 AM
    Poop problem?
    My 8 year old golden lab makes multiple small poops before being finished. After each poop he walks a few steps then poops another small amount. It takes him 5 or 6 poops before he's finished.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 3, 2015, 09:45 AM
    I see no problem with this. At least he is pooping. Would you be worried if he wasn't? Of course, the answer is yes.

He is a senior now, all seniors have a problem with this, humans, cats and dogs. When they cant, then it's a problem.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 3, 2015, 10:00 AM
    Pretty normal for all 4 of my dogs. The oldest is 14 years old and the youngest is 6 months old.

Is this something new? Have you changed dog foods recently?
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2015, 10:31 PM
    It's probably a neurological deficit. Older pets, especially large dogs, start to have degeneration on the spine and disks. Basically he is losing the feeling in his rear and is dropping poops without noticing. Your dog sounds like this may be a slow progression of degeneration. Hopefully he doesn't become incontinent... My old dog became fecal incontinent... No fun!

If you're worried, you can always take him to the vet for a senior physical exam. They may be able to determine if this is an issue or if its just who he is.
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jan 4, 2015, 06:23 PM
    There could be many reasons for this, some of them already discussed. My Chocolate Lab was like this if he wasn't getting enough exercise and would compensate by adding "roughage" to his diet - in the form of chewing a lot of sticks and stuff when I saw he was like that. My 3 year old Golden Retriever tends to do the same. If she's getting lots of exercise, no problem, but if she's had a quiet spell due to weather, etc. she begins the "poop walk".

Also, knowing Goldens... is it possible he has eaten something that is burning his anus or isn't coming through yet? I have seen this a lot in rescue dogs (as well as Retrievers) if they've gotten into the garbage or something and might have a baggie or something in their stool. Dogs with rope toys sometimes do it, too. I saw that type of thing a lot when working as a Vet Assistant.

Another thing may just be that his anal glands might be full or inflamed. I am not a proponent of emptying anal glands as a rule, however you should check them to see if they are full or inflamed. Usually a dog will express these on their own, but older dogs sometimes can't.

Hopefully with all of the ideas from everyone you can find your answer, but if it continues for any length of time or if he has any other symptoms be sure to book a vet consult.

Hope this helps,
    Didi

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Poop [ 2 Answers ]

I have been having "irritable" bowels issues for a while but last week the cramps were extreme and debilitating for weeks, so I did an enema.. Well that did its job but 8 day as later. And no go.. built-in. Should I be concerned? Or is it normal?

I have a 3 yr old mini schnauzer that eats poop and also will poop/pee in the house [ 3 Answers ]

He seems to get too distracted outside by birds, squirels, and or whatever else. How can I work on these annoying traits, otherwise he's a wonderful temperament dog.

Poop [ 1 Answers ]

Why do people, and other living things, poop ? I've heard animal waste, normally from farm animals. Can be used as fertilizer and compost. I was thinking, since plants and trees filter and clean the air, maybe people clean the ground. Cause we eat fruits and vegetables, using most of the...

My yorkie has Poop blocking him to poop. [ 2 Answers ]

I noticed that my 10 week old Yorkie was trying to poop like 5 times in a roll, he was trying real hard and I noticed that there was nothing to pick up. He did the same thing serval times. I looked at his anal and there is hard poop that is blocking him to poop. What do I do? :confused:

View more questions Search