Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gamerlife Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2015, 10:10 PM
    I'm desperately looking for a career that will fit my lifestyle, please HELP!
    I've been researching careers for the past year and no luck. I hate every job out there. I feel like there is nothing for me. I am hoping someone here with experience can help me. Here are the details

Job requirements:

- A job where you don't work on Weekends (Very Important)

- A job that requires little to no Math

My interests:

- I like playing video games (but don't say game designer because I don't want to make games just play them)

- I like to watch movies and TV shows (but do not say film director because I don't want to make films)

My dislikes and jobs I NEVER want:

- Anything in the medical field. I hate the sight of blood so I don't want to do any jobs
    that require trying to save lives or being a dentist or anything like that

- Any kind of sports or hard physical jobs. I'm not strong or fit so I don't want to do any kind of physical sports or anything that requires hard physical work

- No designer or creative thinking jobs. I have no imagination or creative thoughts so I can not do any job that requires creative thinking like graphic designers or web designers

- I hate writing, reading, cooking, drawing, cleaning and talking to people,

Other:

- I don't plan on ever having a (girlfriend) wife or children or live in a big house so the career doesn't have to earn me much. I want to make at least 30,000 a year or less.

Now please tell, is there even a career that fits these requirements? Or am I just doomed to have a job I don't enjoy or be homeless?

I need to know what career to aim for so that I know what classes to take when I go to college and no I can't wait any longer to figure out what I want to do with my life, I need to know now because I can't be wasting my money switching career classes every now and then in college. If I do, I will end up not having any money left to even feed myself and will be left homeless. I need to know what job I will stick with for the rest of my life NOW!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 2, 2015, 10:16 PM
    How old are you?
    Gamerlife Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2015, 10:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    How old are you?
    I'm 18 and am struggling right now to find a career to aim for. I don't have that much time left. I'm going to be going to college soon and I can't afford to be switching classes. I may be young but I've been through a lot and this is very important for me. Its either I find out what I want to do with my life and go to college and succed because I have a goal driving me or I don't go to college and end up working at McDonalds for the rest of my life. This is very serious.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 3, 2015, 02:06 AM
    Don't sweat it as it's rare to have a single career for your entire working life.
    Your lifestyle will change as you mature.
    TBH you have currently described a menial McJob to the letter.

I studied Metallurgy at Uni, went into the retail wine trade after finishing and currently in IT.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jan 3, 2015, 04:44 AM
    Many people are not working in the jobs that they went to college/university for or thought that they would be doing when they were younger. Often degrees are not for a specific career but are a means to have a variety of options. People also often change careers at some point in their lives.

Don't feel that you have to make a decision at this very moment. The first couple of years in college are general classes anyway... math, science, government, language, writing, etc. so you don't have to declare a major. Focus on getting into college, getting comfortable with the way things are done, and honing your study skills. Odds are you will discover something along the way that interests you and that will fulfill at least some of your requirements. New ideas may come from talking with other students and new friends that you make, they may from talking with some of your instructors.

Some students just know early on what they want to focus on when they get to college/university, but many others have no idea and only make a decision once they have been going.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 3, 2015, 06:38 AM
    Don't panic guy, you have more time than you think to make a decision about your life path. The first two years of college only lay a foundation to have options into a more specific course of study. Few 18 year olds can put a life plan together and follow it, because they will be exposed to many new things they may not have thought of before.

Do well your first two years, and be looking around to what interests you. That's really what college is all about, exploring your options, and opportunities as you learn what you are capable of. Many of us start in one direction, and decide to try other things that may seem a better direction.

Being willing to work and learn new skills will keep you from being homeless, even if you have to work a few weekends every now and then in the early stages of whatever career you find yourself in. You may want to be your own boss of whatever, and call your own shots, you just never know.

Just be open to the possibilities.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 3, 2015, 07:16 AM
    I was a computer game tester in the mid 1980s. Fun job!
    I had 35 other jobs, before and since.
    US Mail Carrier was a good one too. Just have to ace the exam.
    Helped a friend start a magazine (SAIL), and got paid for it.
    Torturing mice in a lab lasted 3 days, ugh!
    Sold good quality unfinished furniture, and did many finishing jobs for customers.
    Taxi driver - would have been OK, but they gave newbies the worst cabs, and mine was trying to asphyxiate me, in dead of winter too. That lasted 3 days too.
    I helped blind students in their classrooms, and with studying and writing papers.
    Advocate for mentally ill at a clubhouse.
    Got my real estate agent license, but never used it.
    I worked as a lowly tech in a college brain study program, that had a mini-hospital ward.
    In my last working years, I taught myself basic bookkeeping, specializing in small companies in the building trades, and using Excel (before Quickbooks).
    In 2000, I did the US Census. Good pay but wore out my car.

I had a full scholarship in 1964 to one of the best schools, and signed up for pre-med, but dropped out my freshman year.

In short, it doesn't matter what you chose for study. It really, really doesn't matter, unless you go to a skill-specific school.
    Here's a skill specific job that is going BEGGING and pays REALLY WELL - court stenographer. Doesn't sound like your cup of tea.

If you insist on suggestions, I suggest Communications, with an eye on a career in any kind of media.
    (There really is no such thing as a job that doesn't require math, or at least arithmetic.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gf wants to move for the lifestyle. [ 20 Answers ]

We been together for 5 years and live together in my house for 9 months. We currntly live in Boston. She wants me to sell my house which I have only lived in for 9 months, and quit my job, that I been working for 4 years to move to Idaho to live the outdoor lifestyle. I love outdoor New England has...

How vampire lifestyle fits with subculture?how marijuana fit in with counterculture [ 1 Answers ]

I need help with my assignment from sociology class. I need to write two paragraphs, one on (how vampire lifestyle fit in with subculture?). Another paragraph about (how marijuana fit in with counterculture?) Thank You, I appreciate your help.

Im trying to live a christian lifestyle [ 1 Answers ]

I have two children, their fathers haven't been in their lives my boyfriend who lives with me is step dad to my kids. My kids love him & call him daddy. Him & I didn't live our lives in a christian way before we met. We both stopped drinking alcohol I even stopped smoking pot. He still smokes...

Just a question about alternative lifestyle? [ 4 Answers ]

Have alternative therapies been any assistance in decreasing digestive disorders? How?

My Lifestyle [ 5 Answers ]

I am just wanting to know weather or not the lifestyle that I live is wasting my life. I work nights well I say nights its like 5 hours between 5 and 11 so I get up at like 2 or 3ish:D I then have a shower and so on and so forth turn on the xbox and play for a bit. I then go on the internet and...

View more questions Search