Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dbla Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2015, 03:50 PM
    Tax question concerning overseas money
    Gifted money from overseas but gifter wants to remain anonymous. Money will come into a US account. Is this even possible
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 1, 2015, 04:40 PM
    Yes, no problem.

If the gift amount is LESS than $17,000, you do not even have to submit any reports/returns.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Jan 3, 2015, 05:36 PM
    Money laundering?
    Scam?
    From a corporation? (Threshold for reporting on 3520 is $15,601)
    Not a gift in substance?
    Not sure where the $17,000 number that ATE mentions comes from?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 3, 2015, 06:49 PM
    Traveling, so I cannot research the gift tax exemption amount, but I thought it went up to $17K.

I will yield to IntlTax on the Form 3520 threshold.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are the tax/questioning implications on wiring my money back to us from overseas [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all, I have an acct overseas (GR) in us currency and I want to return the full amount (around $250,000). In to my acct here in NY. Will I pay anything here? Will I be questioned where I found the money and penalize me? I hear a lot of things... Form 3520 and TD F 90-22.1 when are used and...

Am I subject to gift tax for sending money to family relatives that live overseas [ 1 Answers ]

How much money can my wife, who is a permanent resident alien, and I, a U.S. citizen, send to my wife's sister who is a Chinese citizen without being subjected to the gift tax?

What is US tax liability on overseas property sales when proceeds are kept overseas? [ 1 Answers ]

Tax liability on overseas property sales when proceeds are kept overseas.

Tax risk on getting money that I lend to relative overseas back to US. [ 3 Answers ]

I'm a US green card holder. I lent my US earned after tax money to relatives in a foreign county (parents and brothers, sisters) by several wire transfers. Now they are returning part of the money to me by wire transfer from their foreign bank account to my US bank account. I do not have a foreign...

View more questions Search