Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mozez Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2014, 09:12 AM
    Glow in the dark Phosphors-How can we make them glow even brighter?
    Two phosphors that are used in glow in the dark toys/putties etc. that have these properties are Zinc Sulfide and Strontium Aluminate.

The glow in the dark toys normally use one of these two phosphors that are energized by normal light and have a very long persistence. Strontium Aluminate is newer and has the longest persistence and is what is seen in the "super" glow in the dark toys.

Is there any way to make them glow even brighter without the usage of any type of electricity? I am interested in finding some "mechanical" means to do this. Or, just like with normal electric light sources and lamps for example they use silver foil to reflect the light. Is there any such means that can be used to make this phosphor even just "appear" to give off more light whether it be by mirrors or reflectors etc?

Thank you.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 31, 2014, 12:53 PM
    The light will be dimmer if you use mirrors, you can't physically get more light for nothing. However, you can use parabolic or directed mirrors to modify and pinpoint the light. Unfortunately, the light will only be a very small bright dot in 1 spot and will be dark in another place.
    mozez Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2015, 12:57 AM
    As you replied, "you can't physically get more light for nothing", then is there a way for making the light that is used for charging the phosphor stronger or more effective? For example: I am using a compact floruesecent light bulb. Can I make this low wattage bulb give a stronger charge by somehow using tin foil, or using a magnifying glass or some other means? Thanks
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 2, 2015, 11:43 AM
    Don't know what you mean by "charge". Bulbs are rated in wattage and lumens. Wattage is power used and lumens is light output. No matter what you try, you will not get more lumens. However, color temperature does have a bearing on perceived brightness. Look at CFL's, they are rated on Kelvin color temperatures, the higher the K temp, the whiter, and therefore "brighter" the light.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Glow in the Dark party cost? [ 4 Answers ]

I was planning on having a glow in the dark birthday party but I wasn't too sure on what I should all get for it and how much that would cost.Has done anything like this?

Glow in the dark crafts? [ 0 Answers ]

Hi there! I'm looking for some cool glow in the dark crafts that do not need a uv light or a darklight!

Ford f250 turbo diesel glow plugs how do I test glow plugs? [ 7 Answers ]

How do I test glow plugs?

Glow in the dark Teddy Bear [ 12 Answers ]

I am looking for a Glow in the dark teddy bear for my 3 year old granddaughter for Christmas. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much!

View more questions Search