Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sassycakez Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2014, 03:47 AM
    Notice to vacate
    My question is there anything I can do if I've already been served a notice to vacate?

I'm really in a bad position to get put out in the streets in this weather and I just had a baby via C section and I have a artistic/hyperactive 2yr old and I have many health problems but I was told by legal aid that I had a good case and it should get dismissed but I wasn't able to properly explain or prove my case. I had to bring both kids to court with me and they were both acting up, but I would like to appeal the decision because these people who filed on me have lied to me and just a been taking my money from day one and its not fair I have to be put in such a bad predicament just because I wasn't able to afford counsel.

The judge told me he wouldn't make his judgement in court I would receive it via mail and then I just got served by the sheriff. They told the courts they made some repairs but that court doesn't know that its still isn't working. Its a long drawn out story but basically is there one last thing I can do before having to vacate? Can I stay pending the out come of an appeal?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 29, 2014, 03:51 AM
    You merely not providing proper evidence and losing is not a reason to appeal.

You needed to have left kids at home... with someone, got a istter, something.

You needed photos of non repairs, and proof of payments made.

But, at this point, you need to arrange a shelter or other housing.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 29, 2014, 04:03 AM
    You haven't told us why you were being evicted.
    Legal aid gave you advice but wouldn't represent you, I take it?
    Were you withholding rent because needed repairs? You can't do that. You can put rent money in escrow with a lawyer.
    I'm sorry this is happening, but you need to find a shelter, and you need a social worker who can help you with public housing. Usually there is a waiting list.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 29, 2014, 08:58 AM
    ... but I would like to appeal the decission (sic) because these people who filed on me have lied to me and just a been taking my money from day one and its not fair ...
    As they say, "life isn't fair". But none of those things are grounds for appeal.

... Can I stay pending the out come of an appeal?
    If you can post an appeal bond, you may be able to get a stay pending appeal. But, as I indicated, you don't seem to have grounds for an appeal.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 29, 2014, 10:45 AM
    First, any question on law needs to include your general local as laws vary by area.

This is how it generally works. Step 1: Landlord gives a notice to vacate, giving you x # of days to vacate. The number of days depending on the reason for eviction, local laws, etc. Step 2: If you do not vacate by the specified deadline, then the landlord files for an eviction order. This means a hearing at which you can present evidence why you shouldn't be evicted. Step 3 The court denies the eviction order or (more likely) grants it. At which time you will be given a vacate date. Step 5 The landlord hires a sheriff to physically removes you.

It sounds like you are at Step 3. You can try filing an appeal. However, without knowing why you are being evicted, it's hard to know how to advise.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Notice to vacate [ 12 Answers ]

My tenant lease expired in 2010 . I want to evict him for habitual lateness in rent payments . Should I use notice to vacate letter.

Notice to vacate - description of property to vacate not provided [ 8 Answers ]

Tenant/Landlord rules - Lawrenceville Georgia I live in a house where I rent a room. I have shared the common areas with other tenants, but now I am in the house alone, the other 2 tenants moved out recently. I have lived in the house (room) for the last 2 years on a month-to-month rental basis...

60 notice to vacate, what if not the landlord that gave notice [ 3 Answers ]

I was giving a 60 notice to vacate, but the person that gave me the notice is not the person I have been giving the money to. What can I do??

Give a 30 day notice then 4 days later served with a 3 day vacate notice [ 6 Answers ]

I was served with a 30 day notice for a termination of Lease on June 9th. By my landlord for late payments. Then on June 15th I was served with a notice to pay or vacate with in 3 days by my landlord. Can he do this? I am not even a month late on this months rent.

Notice to vacate [ 1 Answers ]

I am living with some friends. We agreed that I could stay here for a year or so. It has been 2 months. We never did a lease or anything in writing. But I have been giving them their desired amount for rent money. Yesterday I got a note to vacate within a month. Is there anything I can do to at...

View more questions Search