Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deepak_sahni Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2007, 08:00 AM
    How to file tax return when other family members are not having SSN
    Dear Sir/Madam,

Greetings of the day!!

My name is Deepak Sahni and I am a foreigner to USA.

Last year I was in USA for 3 months on work permit (H1B visa). Now I am back in my home country and trying to file Federal and state tax for 2006.

My problem is that I have selected filing status as ‘Married filing Jointly’ but after completing the online form I am getting error that I have not supplied SSN information for my wife and minor kids.

The problem is that my wife and kids didn’t traveled with me to USA hence they don’t have SSN.

It will be really appreciated if you can please suggest how I can file my tax for 2006 keeping in mind this constraint? Your reply will really help me and couple of my friends who are stuck with same reason.

Best Regards,

Deepak Sahni
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Apr 9, 2007, 08:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by deepak_sahni
    Dear Sir/Madam,

Greetings of the day!!!

My name is Deepak Sahni and I am a foreigner to USA.

Last year I was in USA for 3 months on work permit (H1B visa). Now I am back in my home country and trying to file Federal and state tax for 2006.

My problem is that I have selected filing status as ‘Married filing Jointly’ but after completing the online form I am getting error that I have not supplied SSN information for my wife and minor kids.

The problem is that my wife and kids didn’t traveled with me to USA hence they don’t have SSN number.

It will be really appreciated if you can please suggest how I can file my tax for 2006 keeping in mind this constraint? Your reply will really help me and couple of my friends who are stuck with same reason.

Best Regards,

Deepak Sahni
    If you were only in the US for 3 months and have not been here before, you are a non-resident. You should not be filing a 1040 which is for residents only.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 17, 2007, 11:22 AM
    Agreed. The form that you need to file is Form 1040NR-EZ, which must be mailed. You CANNOT file it on-line.

Contact me if you need help to file. I have already serviced three clients in India this year!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need to file for State Tax return? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, I am a student on an F-1 visa from india. I earned around $3000 in the 2004 calendar year. I will file for my Federal Tax returns, but do I need to file for my State tax too? I live in New York City, but my income was under the $7500 quota for a single individual. It is my...

Follow-up: Do I have to file to pay medicare/ssn tax? [ 1 Answers ]

I think that I did neither officially announce that I am a non-resident or resident to my company. However, I did tell my company that I am an international student. They let me complete all the paperwork for international student. I also provided them my passport, I-95, I-20 and F1. My company...

Do I have to file to pay medicare/ssn tax? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I have been in the US more than 5 years and I am still a full-time student. I recently found out that my status actually changed from non-resident to resident alien in end 2004 because I have been here more than 5 years. I filed a 1040NREZ for 2005. Since I became a resident alien, I...

How should a h1-b holder file tax return? [ 3 Answers ]

I got hi-b visa and arrived and worked in New York at November 1,2005. How should I file tax return? How many kinds of taxes should I pay? Which forms should I use? I only know the deadline of 2005 income tax return is July 17,2006. Thank you very much.

1.5 Months - Should I file tax return [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Im in H1B and came here last November. My SSN application got delayed and got it only on January. My company says even though you were paid, you shall not file tax returns for year 2005. That salary will be carried forward and will be treated together with the 2006 salary. They are planning...

View more questions Search