Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Zoey1124 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 25, 2014, 05:15 AM
    What is the problem when your car gear in sliding and won't go into gear
    I have a 2000 rx 300 lexus an iy won't go into gear it just slides up and down
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 25, 2014, 07:11 AM
    The problem could be a linkage issue, failed Neutral Safety Switch, failed transmission pump, or stripped transmission pump shaft splines in the torque converter. When the splines strip out, the pump no longer turns and the car will not move. If the fluid is suddenly overfilled on the dipstick with the engine running, this is most likely the case. To verify the issue, a pressure test should be performed. Ensure that the ATF is pink, not brown or burnt smelling. The transmission fluid and filter should be changed every 30,000 miles.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 25, 2014, 10:05 AM
    If you are lucky, just a shift cable or link. However, it is 14 years old. How many miles?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car won't go into gear [ 6 Answers ]

>Threads Merged< Turn car on just fine but it won't go in to gear. I have an 07 dodge charger. No release button that I can find.

My car won't go into gear [ 4 Answers ]

I have a manual, and when I put it into gear, it feels like there's nothing there. I can put it in first and slide it right over to fifth. What's wrong with it?

Car won't go when in gear [ 2 Answers ]

I have checked out all things possible that was told to check for. But after searching other sites, was told maybe it might be the "neutral safety switch" Could this maybe the proble?

Why won't my car go into gear [ 8 Answers ]

I have a v-8 4 speed manual trans. Today as I was getting on the freeway I went to shift and the clutch suddenly felt differand and the gear grinded. When I got off the freeway and had to stop, the clutch did work but the car would not go into gear. I had to shut the car off, put it 2nd and limp...

Car gear not switching to 2nd gear [ 0 Answers ]

My toyota 98 camry can't switch form 1st to 2nd gear, Goes reverse.. Dashboard is off at the same time, no speed no rpm, no temp. please help

View more questions Search