Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ginger13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2014, 05:27 PM
    Do I have to disclose the nature of my illness to my employer
    I am being treated by my physician and he has recommended that I not return to work until test results are in. My employer has requested information on the nature of my illness and I feel like this is a privacy violation. Isn't this a HIIPA violation?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 23, 2014, 07:17 PM
    No, it's not a HIPAA violation, unless your employer is in the medical field and has violated your privacy by looking at your files without your consent.

You are not required to disclose the nature of your illness with your employer, but if you plan to take time off work due to this illness you will need a letter from your doctor stating that it is under his recommendation that you not work at this time, and give a reasonable time frame for when you will be able to return to work.

Having said that, most employees are at will employees, so your boss would be well within his right to terminate your employment, or hire someone else to do your job while you're gone, and he is not obligated to give you back that same position when you return.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 23, 2014, 07:24 PM
    Can't improve on what's been said. Definitely not HIPAA
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 23, 2014, 07:45 PM
    Agreed,not HIPAA and to get an approved leave, most will require a doctor statement and may also want to know nature of illness and estimated time off.

So, you will risk, termination of your job, if you do not disclose this to them.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 23, 2014, 08:03 PM
    Many company liability insurers require that all reasons for time off for illness or injury be known. They have a right to know if you are contagious or a danger to yourself or employees or clients. Your company has a right to know if you can do your job safely, get around the place safely, deal with others safely. They have a right to not be sued by others because of something you do. To say that you are not required to disclose is not to say that they have to keep you employed there. Of course you can refuse, but expect to be out of a job immediately.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 24, 2014, 02:28 AM
    I have to agree with Joy on this one. Liability issues are always a major concern for employers.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 24, 2014, 05:52 AM
    As noted it has nothing to do with HIPAA, your employer is perfectly within their rights to request this information. You, on the other hand are under no obligation to reveal it. However, your employer could make it a condition of continued employment. Your physician could advise that the condition in no way presents an issue to your performance of the job once you return.

Because of the liability issue, I would not consider it an invasion of privacy but rather the employer trying to protect themselves and their employees. Note also that FMLA or your employer's short term leave policies may require that you provide the info.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 24, 2014, 01:56 PM
    Some of this also boils down to what your job entails.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I have to disclose? [ 7 Answers ]

I have been out of work for more than 5 years. When I apply for a job, do I have to disclose work history if its been that long? I don't even remember anything except the company I worked for. Im in Arizona.

Does employer have he right to announce employees illness' without permission? [ 12 Answers ]

While at our annual meeting, in the midst of explaining increased health care costs, my employer asked where I (by name) was sitting and proceeded to tell me and everyone else that "You are not allowed to have a heart attack or cancer anymore". Is this against HIPAA laws in the workplace? Privacy...

When to disclose salary to SO? [ 45 Answers ]

Hi, we have been together for about 1.5 years now, but I have never disclosed how much I earn. It is now getting to the point where we are ready to move to the next step and she would like to know. Her reason is that she wants to feel secure in our future together. Advice?

Website that disclose studies done [ 1 Answers ]

If you can help me find a website that shows studies that have been done and the results. I thought I had come across a website like that. I am more interested in the nutritional field like finding out about gingko bilboa, green tea and etc Thanks in advance.

Mental illness vs physical illness [ 6 Answers ]

I need advise on what to do about my older sister. She is 57 years old and has spent most of her adult life in and out of hospitals. Although she does have some real medical problems she constantly complains about her health. She is fairly dependent on pain medications although she denies...

View more questions Search