Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anfetove Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2014, 10:55 PM
    Best way to set up the startup process when executing MSCONFIG in windows 7
    If the computer is working slow, there are many tools that we can use to improve performance by the computer. Understanding that every computer is different and you will need some essential services at startup, my question is when running MSCONFIG, what are the basic and more essential processes that we need to keep running during the initial startup?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 23, 2014, 02:26 AM
    Theoretically you could uncheck everything and Windows would still boot up fine.
    Antivirus is really the only must-have, and any other services you enjoy to have always running (in my case I have a server service that offers up video files to any connected device in the house). Uncheck all the Adobe, Apple, HP etc. stuff.
    anfetove Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 23, 2014, 02:41 PM
    Thanks NeedKarma. Just like you, I have disable all the Adobe, HP, and other third party applications, some of the letargic issues could be resolved by this process. Have a nice day.
    Uber Member

Dec 24, 2014, 04:55 AM
    Also install and run MalwareBytes free program, delete (quarantine) anything it finds:
    https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2014, 01:44 PM
    I disagree some. Under the "Services" tab, you need a lot of services running in order for the computer to function normally. Ideally you would use the Services Management Console (Run > Services.msc or Right Click Computer > Manage > Services) to control their behaviour more effectively.

---Safe to Disable---
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.7tutorials.com/which-windows-services-are-safe-disable-when
    Tablet PC Input Service (in Windows 7) / Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service (Windows 8): you can safely disable this service, unless you use Tablet PC. Some "Tablet PC Components" like the Snipping tool or Windows Journal will continue to function, while the Tablet PC Input Panel will not. The default startup type is Manual. You can set it even to Disabled without negatively impacting your computing experience;
    Windows Time: if your computer doesn't have access to the Internet then you don't need to update the system time from online servers. You can safely disable this service. But if you do, then this service will keep your system time accurate. Safe setting: Manual;
    Secondary logon: if you are the only user of your computer, it can be disabled. But only if you don't plan to use more than one user account. Safe setting: Manual;

Fax: unless you use your computer to send or receive faxes using fax resources available on your system (for ex. by using a fax-modem), you can disable it. Safe setting: Manual;

Print Spooler: if you don't have a printer attached to your computer and you don't use virtual printers (e.g.: PDF creator, Microsoft XPS Document Writer, Snagit, etc) you can disable it. Safe setting: Manual;

Offline Files: unless you use the Offline Files functionality from Windows, you can disable it. Safe setting: Manual;
    NOTE: This service is available only in Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate and Enterprise. In Windows 8 it is available only in the Pro and Enterprise editions.

Routing and Remote Access Service: This service offers routing services to businesses in local area and wide area networks. It allows computers to dial in to the local computer in order for it to get access to the local network. On a home computer you won't need such features. Safe setting: Manual;

Bluetooth Support Service: unless you use Bluetooth devices such as keyboards, mice, printers or phones, you can disable this service. Keep in mind that, if you choose to disable this service, then no Bluetooth devices will be recognized. Also, the already connected Bluetooth devices may fail to work properly. Safe setting: Manual;

BitLocker Drive Encryption Service: unless you use Microsoft's Encryption Software (included in Windows 7 Ultimate and Enterprise Edition, and in Windows 8 Pro and Enterprise), you can disable this service. BitLocker Drive Encryption is a feature that allows users to protect data by providing encryption for entire volumes. Safe setting: Manual;

Encrypting File System:EFS provides file encryption technology for storing encrypted files on NTFS file systems. If you don't need to encrypt data on your hard drives, it is OK to disable it. Safe setting: Manual;

Certificate Propagation: if you don't use SmartCards (sometimes used in large organizations), it is safe to disable this service. Safe setting: Manual;

Microsoft iSCSI Initiator Service: iSCSI is an abbreviation for Internet Small Computer System Interface - an IP-based storage networking standard for linking data storage facilities. It allows client computers to access data over long distances on remote data centers, by using existing infrastructure (ex. over LAN, Internet). iSCSI devices are disks, tapes, CDs, and other storage devices on another networked computer that you can connect to. Sometimes these storage devices are part of a network called a storage area network (SAN). Unless you need to connect to iSCSI devices, it is safe to disable this service. Safe setting: Manual;

Netlogon: this service is not needed in a home computer. It maintains a secure channel between the local computer and the domain controller for authenticating users. Unless you are connecting to a network domain, this service will never be used. Safe setting: Manual;

Parental Controls (in Windows 7) / Family Safety (in Windows 8): unless you have children using your computer and you want to monitor and control their activities, this service is not required. Safe setting: Manual;
    Remote Desktop Configuration: Remote Desktop Protocol is a protocol developed by Microsoft which provides Windows users with a graphical interface to another computer. The client used by Microsoft is called Remote Desktop Connection. If you don't need to connect remotely to another computer or allow incoming remote connections to yours, then it is safe to disable this service. Safe setting: Manual;

Remote Desktop Services: same as above. Safe setting: Manual;

Remote Desktop Services UserMode Port Redirector: same as above. Safe setting: Manual;

Smart Card: Smart Cards are generally used for safety reasons in large organizations or corporations. The typical home user won't probably need this service to be running. Safe setting: Manual;

Smart Card Removal Policy: same as above. Safe setting: Manual;

Windows Connect Now: this service is used by laptops and other mobile computers to connect to Wireless Networks. If you are on a desktop computer, you can disable this service. Safe setting: Manual;

Windows Firewall: This service should be disabled only if you are using a third-party security solution that provides firewall protection. Safe setting: Manual;

Windows Error Reporting Service: this service is used to report system errors to Microsoft. Although disabling this service won't affect your Windows computer, letting it run when needed may help you solve problems and issues that occur on your system, by searching solutions available from Microsoft. Safe setting: Manual;

Remote Registry: this service enables remote users to modify the Windows Registry. Some say that having this service turned on can pose security issues, and therefore, choose to disable it. In Windows Vista and Windows 7, this service is set to a manual start by default, while in Windows 8 it is disabled. After disabling it, I encountered some problems while updating my system, so I really think that it is safe to leave it set to Manual, at least in Windows 7. Safe setting: Manual;

Windows Defender: if you use a third-party security solution (antivirus and antispyware), then disabling this service is a safe choice. You should also check this tutorial: Windows Defender - How to Turn it On or Off. Safe setting: Manual.
    ---Safe to set to Manual---
    Quote Originally Posted by http://www.askvg.com/windows-7-services-that-can-be-safely-set-to-manual/
    Application Experience
    Computer Browser (If your computer is not connected to any network)
    Desktop Window Manager Session Manager (If you don't use Aero glass theme)
    Diagnostic Policy Service
    Distributed Link Tracking Client
    IP Helper
    Offline Files
    Portable Device Enumerator Service
    Print Spooler (If you don't have a Printer)
    Protected Storage
    Remote Registry
    Secondary Logon
    Security Center
    Server (If your computer is not connected to any network)
    Tablet PC Input Service
    TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper (If you are not in a workgroup network)
    Themes ( If you use Windows Classic theme)
    Windows Error Reporting Service
    Windows Media Center Service Launcher
    Windows Search (If you don't use Windows Search feature frequently)
    Windows Time (If you don't want to update system tray clock time using Internet)
    I will also say it is safe to disable Microsoft Office Source Engine if you use office. Most chat client services like skype or Yahoo are safe to set manual as they will start on application startup and remind you to update. A lot of computer brand services (HP, Dell, Toshiba) are safe to disable completely, however be careful not to disable any printer necessary services if a branded printer is used with the machine.

I recommend leaving Flash, Reader, and Java services alone. The reasoning being that Java needs to update regularly in order not to security warnings and active page errors. Flash will quit working on 90% of sites eventually if not updated. Reader isn't too much of an issue, but it will revert back to automatic update behavior upon flash installation. You could update these things manually as needed if disabled, however for customers it is ideal to set to "Notify to install."

All Google services can usually be disabled, the voice service may be the only exception as it is necessary if you use voice services through the browser with Google.

Be cautious of driver services, disabling them may cause the computer to misbehave leave things like Intel, nVidia, Radeon, etc. alone.

Be careful of intuit services, the software doesn't like you to disable them.

Under the "Startup" tab:

Google anything can be disabled, GrooveMonitor can be disabled, skype, logmein, gotoassist, Microsoft office, reader, basically anything that you don't need running when the computer starts. With customers be careful, question them as to what they use, they expect some things to be running when the computer turns on and are at a loss to find them when they don't pop up. Things like the sidebar and dell dock people tend to get accustomed to. The same goes for printer apps. Some printers before printing will throw an error if their monitoring program has been disabled.

The antivirus stuff should remain, if you want to disable a part of it, do so from within the program's settings interface.
    Ultra Member

Dec 25, 2014, 01:51 PM
    Also ask about AOL and Apple, many people still use the AOL browser which likes services running, and with apple devices a whole skew of Apple services are required in order for the device to connect to iTunes or open its storage.
    Uber Member

Dec 25, 2014, 05:19 PM
    you need a lot of services running in order for the computer to function normally
    Nope. MSCONFIG only display services over and above what Windows needs to run.
    Also iTunes on Windows is a crappy program. It should not run at startup, only as a needed.
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2014, 05:15 AM
    Come on needKarma, try shutting off DNS or Network location awareness, and see how your internet works.
    Uber Member

Dec 26, 2014, 05:38 AM
    Can't shut those off in MSCONFIG Startup tab.
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2014, 08:18 AM
    Yes, but there is a services tab in MSConfig. I would also recommend changing the boot tab, adjusting the timeout to 3 seconds decreasing the boot time

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When set up ask press enter to set up windows then no reaction on the keyboard [ 1 Answers ]

Place a windows cd in PC. When boot it ask "press any key to boot from cd. When I press any key windows set up starts. Now here is the problem when it get to the next screen if yuor'e num lock are on the light goes dead and when it ask you to press enter to set up windows the are reaction on the...

'NDSTray.exe' file in MSConfig - Startup file [ 1 Answers ]

In the MSConfig system configuration utility tray, at the startup tab, what is the NDSTray.exe file checked for?

How to clean entries in startup tab of MSCONFIG [ 2 Answers ]

After u run msconfig, the screen which comes up has a tab "Startup". I want to clean all the entries left behind by the uninstalled softwares.How can this be done?

Deleting things from msconfig startup [ 5 Answers ]

I have a compaq computer, running windows xp, and using internet explorer. I've gone to msconfig and unchecked several programs so they won't load at start up. Some of them have loaded up again so what I want to know is it OK to delete the programs from msconfig that have no check mark in the box...

Commands in the Startup menu in the MSCONFIG command [ 4 Answers ]

Would anyone please explain to me what these commands do, plus if it's possible, what consequence is going to happen if I cancel anyone of them from the startup menu. By the way, I have a toshiba laptop with XP home edition. Startup Item-------- Command NDSTray ------ ...

View more questions Search