Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rnevils Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2007, 07:37 AM
    Add a pop-up drain in older bathroom tub.can't find correct size?
    Recently went about replacing an older rusty drain in an inset tub, get the special drain removal tool (vertical piece with hole for screwdriver to help twist out drain). Removed old drain with much effort, then purchased new kit from Home Depot. All "standard" replacement drains including any and all at Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. are slightly too large. Where/how might I find a slightly smaller replacement pop-up drain? If I can't find one, is replacing the entire drain assembly below the tub my only answer? If so, seems impossible as tub is sealed in all around with tile.

Please help!

Thanks,

~Mark
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2007, 07:52 AM
    Can you get at the drain assembly from behind or below?
    rnevils Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2007, 07:54 AM
    Unfortunately not, unless I cut a hole in the ceiling of the finished basement below. Is that going to be my only answer eventually? I had hoped a source for odd-sized drain rings would exist.

~Mark
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2007, 07:59 AM
    Well, there is the matter of replacing the rubber washer and cleaning up any of the old plumbers putty or other sealant on the underside of the drain opening.

The rusty bit and the difficulty you had in removing the drain shoe is what perplexes me.

If it was as difficult as you say, it's likely the rubber washer is in dire need of replacement as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Installing pop up drain in new vessel sink [ 4 Answers ]

I am refurbishing my bathroom and installing a vessel sink. It came with the drain, a pop up drain, but it did not come with the instructions for installing this drain. It appears simple enough, but I do not want to install it incorrectly and experience any leaking around the vainity top I made...

Slow Bathroom Sink Drain - but Tub and Toilet Drain Fine [ 4 Answers ]

I am hoping that someone can offer a suggestion to solve my problem. We recently purchased a 60 year old home. The sink in one of our bathrooms drains completely fine until the water has run for about 5 minutes and then all of a sudden it starts to back up and then drains very slowly. I have...

Correct size of Return Air Vent Opening [ 2 Answers ]

What is the correct size for a return air vent opening if I'm using a 4-ton 13SEER A/C? Thanks! Jeff

Correct Size AC Unit? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in PA and my home was built 7 years ago and a Carrier Model 38TKB036300 central air system was installed. The home is two stories, has about 3200 sf living space, with a 500 sf great room that has a 20' ceiling. When I turn on my AC, it will only drop the temperature 1° per hour. (It has...

Trying to find out a song from an older mixed tape, can someone help? [ 3 Answers ]

The song is from the mid to late 90's, it kind of sounds like NIN or Filter mixed with some Bad Religion. The main chorus is - "I'm on my way down. I'm on my way, ah-hey! I'm on my way." Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

View more questions Search