Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thepetfoodguy Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2007, 06:26 AM
    Gas Hot Water Heater
    Have a 1995 Natural Gas Bradford-White 48" high 48 gallon that needs replacing. 3 bathroom 2 story house, heater is in a closet on the second floor and the height is the limiting factor. What is the best replacement and the best place to buy the new hot water heater.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2007, 06:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by thepetfoodguy
    Have a 1995 Natural Gas Bradford-White 48" high 48 gallon that needs replacing. 3 bathroom 2 story house, heater is in a closet on the second floor and the height is the limiting factor. What is the best replacement and the best place to buy the new hot water heater.
    Frankly, I'd replace it with another Bradford White -- Tank insulation requirements have changed over the last decade, so it will be a little fatter, but the height and venting should be exactly the same.

You should be able to find a supplier in your area by going here.

I'm curious to know why you're replacing the 12 year old one you already have.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 9, 2007, 07:39 AM
    I don't recommend by brand name. You need to replace with another lo-boy and your best buy is from a big box store. Regards, Tom
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2007, 07:46 AM
    I don't recommend by brand name.
    Heck, I do.

I've been using Bradford White tanks for over 20 years.

Best warranty and customer service I've ever seen among the differing manufacturers.

Apr 9, 2007, 03:53 PM
    The reason I am replacing this Bradford is the fittings on top of the tank have been seeping. I have 3 small piles of corrosion, one at each pipe and around the gas exhaust center flu, plus a rust stain on the tank top cover. The heater works fine and there is no sign on water in the pan. I don't know if it can be fixed. I would rater not replace it if it can be fixed/economically? Everyone tells me that 11 years is the limit?
    Steve

Apr 9, 2007, 03:55 PM
    Box stores, I called Home Depot and Lowe's, don't carry a 48" 48 gal gas hot water heater and 48" is my max height and I don't want anything less than what I have in gallons.
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2007, 03:58 PM
    If it's corroded around the nipple ports, then by all means, replace it.

Was it installed with copper pipe screwed directly onto the nipples?

If it was, that would explain the corrosion problems you're seeing.

Apr 9, 2007, 03:59 PM
    I agree with you on the B/W. The only other consideration I have is a gas fired instant-on like the Paloma PH28RIFS but it's a bit more and I will have to change my 4" flu to Stainless. It's only about 1.5' to outside the roof. If I get the max tax credit of $300 then we are getting close.
    STeve

Apr 9, 2007, 04:01 PM
    It looks like they put copper directly onto the nipples instead of using a dielectric fitting first. It lasted 11 years but must have been leaking for at least one.
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2007, 05:28 PM
    I agree with you on the B/W. The only other consideration I have is a gas fired instant-on like the Paloma PH28RIFS but it's a bit more and I will have to change my 4" flu to Stainless. It's only about 1.5' to outside the roof. If I get the max tax credit of $300 then we are getting close.
    STeve
    If you've been able to get by with a 48 gallon tank for the past 11 or 12 years without too much discomfort, then you should stick with what you have.

Getting enough make-up air for a tankless in a closet might not be worth the hassle.
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2007, 05:29 PM
    It looks like they put copper directly onto the nipples instead of using a dielectric fitting first. It lasted 11 years but must have been leaking for at least one.
    You're lucky, very lucky it lasted as long as it did.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 9, 2007, 05:32 PM
    Paloma a bit more is an understatement. The one I'm buying is about $1100 but I will save $400 per year with the electric rates I'm paying. If you go with the White be sure not to do any soldering on the fittings on top of the tank. Pre-assemble, solder and screw in with white teflon tape.

Apr 9, 2007, 06:07 PM
    I called Paloma this evening and they advised about the air supply. Luckily right behind the closet is some attic space so I could run the air intake line into the overhang and I would have to change the galvanized exhaust to stainless. The other minus of the instant system is electronic ignition. If the power goes out no hot water, now with the tank, I have a gas pilot. When the last hurricane came through, we were able to shower and cook on the natural gas grill. Decisions, decisions.
    Steve
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 9, 2007, 06:12 PM
    That Paloma can run you $1100 but you may save quit a bit on your electric bill. I'm putting one in set up for propane. I'll save $400 per year on electric plus the tax credit. They do pull a lot of air but I think Paloma pulls through the double wall vent pipe. I'll double check. The special vent is another $300
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2007, 06:19 PM
    I called Paloma this evening and they advised about the air supply. Luckily right behind the closet is some attic space so I could run the air intake line into the overhang and I would have to change the galvanized exhaust to stainless. The other minus of the instant system is electronic ignition. If the power goes out no hot water, now with the tank, I have a gas pilot. When the last hurricane came through, we were able to shower and cook on the natural gas grill. Decisions, decisions.
    Steve
    If you can solve the make up air dilemma, then the power situation is just a matter of an inverter, low maintenance battery, trickle charger and a Religiously followed maintenance schedule.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas water heater pressure release valve leaking water [ 14 Answers ]

Hello all, I have a slight issue with my gas water heater. It's a AO Smith 32.75 gallon type. All of a sudden, water is coming out of the relief valve pipe. I have placed a coffee can there, and I have to empty it out every few hours now. Im not sure where to turn for this one, as I have...

Does putting gas hot water heater dial on PILOT put pilot light out? [ 5 Answers ]

My gas hot water heater dial has OFF to the left, PILOT in the middle and ON to the right. If we are going away and want to not have the water heated can we just turn the dial to PILOT and the flame will stay lit but just won't heat the water or does the flame go out completely and then PILOT would...

No hot water - hot water heater and cold working [ 1 Answers ]

HELP! Its freezing out and we have NO hot water! Cold is working fine everywhere - but nothing comes out of the hot side anywhere. The hot water heater appears to be working? Did the hot water pipes freeze? Why the hot side and not the cold? Please help.

Gas Hot Water Heater runs out of water [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old Gas Hot Water Heater in my house 50 gallon I believe. It runs out of water after about 5 minutes and the water does not seem as hot as it should be (It's turned to 3 on a max scale of 4 on the heater). The pilot light is on. Can you tell me what might cause the hot water to...

Gas water heater & gas dryer [ 4 Answers ]

I just moved into an duplex and purchased a gas dryer in excellent condition from a local thrift store. My trouble is, I don't see anywhere to hook the gas line (from the dryer up). It looks like there is just an electrical outlet. Can someone help? Isn't there some kind of two prong gas line...

View more questions Search