Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    isisgg Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2014, 01:08 PM
    Brca2
    Got tested for brca and tested positive for brca2 doctor recommends hysterectomy but I have doubts
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Dec 14, 2014, 01:28 PM
    Why ?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 14, 2014, 02:29 PM
    Why, because brca2 is the breast cancer gene. It would be a waiting game. You are genetically programmed for this. But we cant make that decision for you; you will get a second opinion, yes ?

Dec 14, 2014, 02:52 PM
    In dought
    I got a second opinion and the Dr suggested surgery but having this gene doesn't warranty that I will ever this cancer right?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 14, 2014, 02:56 PM
    Please use the Answer button under your first post to ask this question so they will all be together.
    (I think you mean 'Having this gene doesn't mean that I absolutely will get breast cancer, right?' Right. It DOES increase the probability, the chances, the odds. Those 3 words all mean the same thing.)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 14, 2014, 04:39 PM
    Hysterectomy or mastectomy?

Dec 14, 2014, 04:40 PM
    Hysterectomy
    current pert

Dec 14, 2014, 04:43 PM
    How old are you?
    Expert

Dec 14, 2014, 04:45 PM
    That is interesting because the BRCA2 is a test for the BREAST cancer gene. Sure it can cause cancer in the reproductive organs, but more often in the breasts.

Two of my nieces have tested positive and it was suggested they have a prophylactive mastectomy after they have had their children if they chose to breast feed. My ddaughter,21, is currently waiting for her appointment for the test as I am a breast cancer survivor.

Dec 14, 2014, 04:52 PM
    Well the Dr suggested breast surgery but she says that based on my family history of cancer my mother died of ovarian cancer at age 53, the Dr says there is no screening for ovarian cancer that's why she thinks I should do a hysterectomy first
    Expert

Dec 14, 2014, 05:00 PM
    And how old are you?

Dec 14, 2014, 05:09 PM
    I'm 43 but I can't have babies I was diagnosed with endometriosis at age 30 and had a laparascopic surgery for that and 2 years ago I had a small bowel obstruction due to the endometriosis had surgery also to fixed the obstruction. I had two opinions already from different doctors and they strongly suggest a hysterectomy not so much the breast surgery , all my tests had come negative I also did the ca 125 last month that was normal but I have dought I don't know why about doing this surgery
    current pert

Dec 14, 2014, 06:36 PM
    What country are you in?

Dec 14, 2014, 06:37 PM
    Here in Dade county fla
    Expert

Dec 14, 2014, 06:46 PM
    This is a global website.

The choice is now yours. You have had 2 educated opinions. We don't have anyone with a medical degree that answers here. I am a RN, but in no way educated enough to challenge the advice of 2 physicians.
    current pert

Dec 14, 2014, 06:49 PM
    What I do when I have doubts about surgery (and doubts are good about most medical decisions, as long as you do decide), is research. You can google all sorts of statistics about how many women get cancer with the gene, at what ages, how many have the surgery, what their family histories are, and so on. If it's too difficult, we might be able to help you get started. Ideally you would ask a ton of questions of both doctors instead, or in addition.

Dec 14, 2014, 06:56 PM
    Well that's what I want to know because testing positive for brca 2 doesn't mean that I will get cancer is just saying I'm at high risk, cancer is not preventable for anybody , everything in life is a risk and this is drastic move I want to make sure that I'm doing the right thing, the two gynecology oncologists I saw didn't gave me no options but surgery, I'm just not convinced at all honestly

Dec 14, 2014, 07:21 PM
    Is frustating

I have doubts I don't know is frustating
    current pert

Dec 14, 2014, 07:34 PM
    This is from the National Cancer Society: BRCA1 and BRCA2: Cancer Risk and Genetic Testing Fact Sheet - National Cancer Institute

"Prophylactic surgery does not completely guarantee that cancer will not develop because not all at-risk tissue can be removed by these procedures. Some women have developed breast cancer, ovarian cancer, or primary peritoneal carcinomatosis (a type of cancer similar to ovarian cancer) even after prophylactic surgery. Nevertheless, the mortality reduction associated with this surgery is substantial: one study showed that women who underwent bilateral prophylactic salpingo-oophorectomy had a nearly 80 percent reduction in risk of dying from ovarian cancer and a more than 50 percent reduction in risk of dying from breast cancer (22)."

You are 43! Have the hysterectomy (with ovary removal). Read the whole page, over and over, and ask more questions if you need to. Is the last sentence, about many fewer deaths after surgery, clear to you?
    Expert

Dec 14, 2014, 07:39 PM
    Yes, it is frustrating. You need to be your own advocate and do your homework to make the decision that is best for you.

You are past childbearing years. While a hysterectomy may not cure endometriosis, it could potentially save your life.

As I said previously, I am a cancer survivor. If I were in your shoes I would go through with the surgery. While I didn't go through radiation, I can promise you that chemo is rough. Possibly one of the hardest things I've gone through in my life.

Have to spread the love Joy. You did some great research there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search