Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harbourwoods Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2005, 05:14 AM
    Display Program Icons
    I have noticed with Windows XP when you go to All Programs & look at the list the icons, most are not displayed for the downloaded programs. Just a regular File folder & then the name beside.

Example: Quick Time when I put my mouse over this name I see a list of 4 to the right, then I would have to click on Quick time Player.
    Another example is AdAware. But when you down load a program the proper icon is on the Desk Top.

I for one do not like a cluttered Desk top so I only have on my Desk Top there the programs I use over & Over.
    I know how to do specialty icons, but I want the Icons that go with the Program.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2005, 05:52 AM
    Icons
    Hi,
    Very good question.
    Here are 2 suggestions.
    First, to place a program's execute icon on the desktop.
    Go to Start/Programs, then find the program.
    Right click on the one that starts it, such as SpyBot Search & Destroy.
    Then, Left click on Create Shortcut.
    It will create a shortcut, such as SpyBot Search & Destroy(2).
    Then, press and hold down the left mouse key on it, and drag it to the desktop. Release the mouse, and icon will now be on the desktop.
    You can then rename the icon by Right click on it, and Left click on Rename.

Second; If you don't like a cluttered desktop, (and I don't either), why not create a folder for programs that are alike?
    You can Right click anywhere on the Desktop, then Left click on New Folder.
    Then, rename the Folder, such as Spyware Utilities.
    Open the folder, then drag the icons from the desktop into the new folder.
    My Utilities Folder has things such as AdAware_SE, SpyBot, CCcleaner, Spyware Blaster, among others.
    Best wishes,
    fredg
    PS. If you like an Expert's answer, or not, you can hold your cursor over the balances icon by the Expert's name, click on it. You can then either add to the Expert's reputation, or take away from it.
    harbourwoods Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2005, 08:17 AM
    Display Program Icons
    I guess I didn't explain myself.

! I know how to put an Icon on the Desktop.

2. I have a special folder I keep on my Desktop for extra Icons.

Now my Question has not been answered. I am using XP. I click on All Programs and when I am looking for a specific program I see a long list of programs.

Many of my programs do not have the icon for that specific icon showing as I stated in my previous post.

Here is another example:

I have Quattro Pro on my computer which I only use now & then. There is a specific icon for this program but when I look at the list in All Programs I don't see the Quatrro Pro Icon only a Generic file Folder that says Quattro Pro beside it. So it would make it easier if I could just see the Icon I know & click on it. Is this possible? :(
    SESaskDFC Posts: 214, Reputation: 17

Feb 27, 2005, 09:07 AM
    Howdy:

Try this..

Right click on the Quattro Pro program and select "Properties"..

Now, in the new screen that opens, there should be a tab that says "Change Icon".. Click on that.. If there is an alternative icon for the program, it will show there.. Pick the one you want.. apply and okay out..

Murray
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Feb 27, 2005, 09:50 AM
    In All Programs if you hold the pointer on a folder, it will expand to the right showing the program shortcuts in it. If you do that and don't see the Quattro Pro icon you will have to create it. Right click on the folder, select open, then create the shortcut.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 27, 2005, 09:57 AM
    Hi Harbour,
    Seems the other experts missed what you were asking. The icon that a program uses is usually embedded within the program executable. However, not all programs include an icon. In that case, Windows supplies a default icon.

What you are referring to with Quicktime as an example is where there are several files installed with the program. In that case, the install routine creates a folder which uses the standard folder icon. I think you can use TweakUI to change folder icons.

You can also set your own custom icons for programs using an icon editor. You can set the icon to display by right clicking and selecting properties then Change Icon.

I hope this answers your question. If not, please ask for follow-up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Display only shows large icons. [ 5 Answers ]

I have an IBM ThinkPad 390X laptop with Windows Millennium that will only start up with large icons. (During startup, after the "Windows Me" logo screen appears and disappears, on a blank screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left, it always gives a two part beep ("beBOOP") before the desktop...

Can't Display Color or icons in Browser! [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I do't know if anyone can help but my browsers, both Firefox and Explorer seem to be unable to display background color. I've tried everything, from downloading Java, Macromedia flash player, editing the color options in my internet options and nothing works! Any advice would be greatly...

Taskbar Icons [ 4 Answers ]

I have a problem with the taskbar icons on a computer I am working on. They are abnormally small. The rest of the screen looks fine but the icons down in the bottom right hand corner of the screen next to the time and the quick launch toolbar are tiny. The icons are so small that, on the right...

Icons [ 1 Answers ]

Is there a way to hide the application icons in my computer? Every time I installed something (i.e. softwares) a new icon is created. I just have so much that it filled the whole monitor. Plssss help me.

View more questions Search