Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dengeorge6 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 12, 2014, 01:25 AM
    Excel cannot open file (filename) xlsx
    I have several excel files stored on my system. I used these files from the same computer daily. Yesterday, when I tried to open several files in Excel 2007 then I found following error on my co,puter screen: "Excel connot open file (filename) xlsx because the file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file" How fix it?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Dec 12, 2014, 06:38 AM
    The ".xlsx" file extension name was introduced with Microsoft Excel 2010, so your old version won't recognize it. You might try renaming the file with ".xls" file extension name, so that your Excel 2007 recognizes it, but it may have problems opening the file properly. Alternatively, whoever created this file should be able to provie yuo with a version using the ".xls" extension
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 12, 2014, 01:08 PM
    Umm the xlsx extension was introduced with 2007, not 2010. However, if the files were saved in 2010 with 2010 specific features, that could cause the error.

However, you say these are files you use regularly, so that shouldn't be the problem. Its probable that something hit your hard drive causing the corruption.

Step 1. Reboot then try again.
    Step 2. Run a Disk cleanup to do a Scanfix.
    Step 3. Recover from backup (You do have backups don't you?)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Must enter password twice to open Excel file [ 1 Answers ]

When an Excel file is password protected I have to enter the password twice to open it. Then first time, the file becomes viewable in the documents preview screen. The second time it opens in Excel. Computer is an HP laptop, WIN7, 64 bit. Excel 2007. Until recently I used a desktop with 32Bit...

Create a link in a pdf file for open an Excel file in an specific sheet and cell [ 2 Answers ]

I know how to create a hyperlink in a pdf file that opens an Excel file but I don't know how this link can opens the Excel file in a specific sheet and cell; any ideas?

MS-Excel 2007 takes too long to open a file [ 2 Answers ]

I'm using XP pro and Excel-2007. Recently switched to Office 2007 (from Office 2003) and have the following problem when opening any Excel file: When I try to open an Excel file, MS-Excel starts right away but it takes while (MUCH LONGER as compared with Excel-2003) before the file opens/gets...

View more questions Search