Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Anne61 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 8, 2014, 02:04 PM
    Gun possession in New Jersey
    My son is charged with possession of a gun. When the police came into the house he was at looking for somebody else, they found a gun hidden in the ceiling. There were 5 other people in the house. Everybody was arrested. His DNA was found on the gun. He jumped bail and in the meantime, everybody else was cleared of the charge. Does he have a chance at a trial and how much time could he get with an extensive record?
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Dec 8, 2014, 02:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne61 View Post
    He jumped bail
    He will be fortunate to survive being captured. If he makes it to trial, his sentence will likely be maximized by his flight.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 8, 2014, 04:38 PM
    The fact he jumped bail will not help the case at all. Also is he on probation or parole for any past crimes, if so, he may be revoked and have to serve those years also.

Next will the state, turn it over to the Fed's, But his DNA (or did you mean fingerprints) were on the gun, which shows he was touching it, so he had possession of it. Actual ownership of the gun is not needed.

But the one poster is correct, the warrant information officers receive will say, he is dangerous and possibility armed. So the police will do his arrest with their guns drawn most likely. He has a better chance of survival if he will turn his self in. Also, his lawyer can use his turning his self in, to help with any plea deal.

With a big record, if they get a conviction, and he does not work out a plea deal, it is possible for 10 years, perhaps even more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I own a gun? [ 2 Answers ]

I was charged with two class AA felonies four years ago. I was given a deferred sentence for five years. I completed all the terms of the my probation, paid my fines, etc and completed my deferred sentence in 3 years instead of 5. The final paper from the court said "You have now entered a plea of...

BB gun [ 5 Answers ]

Hi can you get injured with a bb.

On probation for possession - caught with possession ? [ 2 Answers ]

Background... first offense probation for possession (over 100 grams) and paraphernalia. Sentence... One year license suspension, one year probation, and some community service. Question... If caught with weed, or if caught being high, or if failing a court order drug test, what are the...

Which gun [ 1 Answers ]

I'm getting my first gun soon and I need to know which one I can get 1-brass eagle t-storm 2-spyder victor 3-spyder sonix 07 I can't go over 70 for a gun

View more questions Search