Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChrisWort Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2014, 05:24 AM
    Tenants removing a structure put up by them.
    Three years ago, my uncle and his wife decided to emigrate and sell their house. We agreed (in front of witnesses) that they could put up a log cabin on my property (at their expense) whilst their paperwork is being done. The agreement was that they would live here, rent free for a period no longer that three years, after which the cabin would become ours. They would only contribute towards lights and water. The three years period has lapsed and I have approached them to start paying rent. They now deny that they ever entered into any agreement and want to leave and remove that cabin and all its fixtures from the property.
    Please advise what my legal recourse is on this matter.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 7, 2014, 06:46 AM
    You don't say what country, but I suspect that it is GB, because you say whilst.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 7, 2014, 07:28 AM
    I can only answer for America, but here, if a house ( log cabin is a house) is built, it is a dwelling and becomes part of the property.

So, you need to get an attorney involved, and notify them,
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 7, 2014, 09:18 AM
    You said you agreed in front of witnesses. This indicates that you have nothing in writing, which was extremely foolish. But will the witnesses back you up?

I believe a structure built on your property is yours. So here's what I would do. I would give your uncle a written statement that restates the agreement. Get signed statements from the witnesses that they agree to what you have stated. Then add that since the three years are up, they need to start paying rent or vacate. State also that any attempt to remove the structure would be met with legal action.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 8, 2014, 07:29 AM
    Three years ago, my uncle and his wife decided to emigrate and sell their house. ...
    They were going to move out of the country in which they were located? That's what "emigrate" means. Or perhaps they were going to move into your country (which makes more sense in relation to the rental arrangement they made with you), in which case you mean "immigrate". In either case, it is mostly immaterial.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 8, 2014, 07:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv
    You don't say what country, but I suspect that it is GB, because you say whilst.
    Perhaps Canada. While it's not impossible to build a log cabin in the UK, I'm guessing it's much more common in the US or Canada.

Where did they get the logs? If they were cut on OP's property, OP would have an even stronger case.

Dec 8, 2014, 10:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    We live in South Africa and they where planning to move to New Zealand.

Dec 8, 2014, 11:08 AM
    I can't find a specific reference, but since South Africa law is based on English Common law, I would assume that any structure built on your property becomes part of your property.

So I would do what I said in my last response.

Dec 8, 2014, 11:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I can't find a specific reference, but since South Africa law is based on English Common law, I would assume that any structure built on your property becomes part of your property.

So I would do what I said in my last response.
    Thank you for all the help. It is much appreciated.

Dec 8, 2014, 01:31 PM
    Keep us posted as to what happens.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can removing 1 drywall from one side of the entrance affect the top floor structure [ 1 Answers ]

We have a lobby in the entrance area---after the foyer---we are thinking of removing 1 drywall of that area to open up the lobby---which will remove the powder room and closet---but the concern is will that affect the structure or support to the top floor.

Can city fine me for removing a falling down illegal structure? [ 5 Answers ]

I bought a property in Joliet, IL, that had been sold at a tax auction. It had an illegal metal garage on it. The property had been abandoned for many years and despite neighbor complaints the city did not take down the illegal structure or remove the garbage on the property. I cleaned up the...

Draw a flowchart showing a decision structure and sequence structure [ 2 Answers ]

In my computer programming class, I need to draw a flowchart shpwing a decision structure and a sequence structuee.

If tenant put a structure w/permanent foundation can they remove it when they vacate [ 6 Answers ]

Carport with permanent founation was put up by tenant can they remove it

View more questions Search