Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lilwillard1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2014, 09:49 PM
    How to reliquish rights to child in Nebraska
    14 yr old daughter of mine wants to be adopted by her stepdad and I am OK with this to reliquish my rights since he has raised her all her life and the mother is OK with adoption also how do you do this process and will I still have to carry insurance and financial support on her cause she moved in with me and wanted to get to know me but is not really liking and feeling comfortable with me and my other children and girlfriend and wants to just move on with her life with mom and stepdad cause not compatible with my family
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 5, 2014, 02:58 AM
    Your ex-wife, hires an attorney, who will do the adoption paper work, part of the paper work will include forms for you to give up rights to allow the adoption.

Once the adoption is final, you will have no legal obligation to pay for anything.
    ** with the exception of any back support if you are not current
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 5, 2014, 06:47 AM
    YOU do nothing. The stepdad has to go to court and petition for adoption. As part of the petition you will be given a document to sign agreeing to the adoption. The nature and wording of that document will vary depending on the court. It will be prepared by stepdad's attorney. You just sign that document, though you might want to have your attorney look over it. You may be required to appear in court to affirm your signature.

Once the court grants the adoption your legal relationship and obligations to your daughter end.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Dec 5, 2014, 02:12 PM
    Keep in mind that even though adopted the child har still inherit from your estate based on Nebraska State Law.

Child which received inheritance from adoptive parents may also receive inheritance from natural parents. Wulf v. Ibsen, 184 Neb. 314, 167 N.W.2d 181 (1969).

Child Adoption Laws Nebraska

ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 5, 2014, 02:16 PM
    Note also that allowing the adoption does not mean you can have no contact with your daughter. It just means that any contact would be subject to the control of her legal parents and her desires.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you go about giving up your parental rights in Nebraska? [ 5 Answers ]

My fiancŽ has fully custody of one child from a previous marriage and one with an ex-fiance. The child he had with the ex-fiance is bleeding him dry of his money to the point he is starting to have an issue supporting his daughter. He pays his full child support the ex fiancŽ but every time tax...

How to give up parental rights in Nebraska [ 3 Answers ]

My boyfriend has a 9 year old girl that he has not seen. The mother never even told him that she was pregnant until after the child was born. He lives in Florida and she lives in Nebraska. She does not want him to have any contact with the child or her, but she has applied for welfare assistance...

Reliquish Maternal Rights [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My cousin wants to relinqush her maternal rights. She has not seen her daughter in 5 years and her daughter resides with her paternal side of the family. Do to many reasons of my cousin own issues she needs to know if this can be done. So far her daughter does not know who she is. And she...

How do I reliquish the rights of a parent that doesn't care about our child? [ 4 Answers ]

I am the custodial parent of my daughter, the non-custodial parent is a neglectful person when it comes to our daughter. NCP has two other children by a new spouse, and they have had a horrible case of lice for 4 months, not only costing me out the rear for repetitive treatments and days missed at...

Reliquish rights as a father [ 4 Answers ]

My fiancé wants to relinquish his rights he doesn't want the child to have his last name and he doesn't want to pay child support anymore... the mother doesn't let us see the child she is remarried and upset that my fiancé has moved on too. We haven't seen his daughter in almost 8 months we don't...

View more questions Search