Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jasmine08 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2014, 07:33 PM
    Eviction
    Let a friend stay at my apartment. She is not on the lease and was not paying anything to stay. Suppose to stay until she saved money to move. She has been there for about 3 months and I want her to move. She keeps the place nasty and has not paid the cable bill in 3 months as we agreed she would.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Dec 3, 2014, 08:07 PM
    First you need to find out the state and city regulations regarding eviction and what is considered a tenant. They vary by state and city. Don't do something without knowledge of the regulations or you could be sued. Typically you give them a 3 day notice to vacate and then file for eviction if they don't move. However, as noted, that varies where you live.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 3, 2014, 08:45 PM
    In general if they have been there 3 months, even if not paying rent, you will have to give them notice and if they do not move, formally evict them,
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 4, 2014, 09:34 AM
    If she agreed to pay the cable bill, that may be enough to constitute an agreement to pay "rent" (to OP as sub-lessor). Thus she is a "tenant", the landlord/ tenant statutes would apply, and OP would need to give her a written notice to quit (with the appropriate time period). If she is still there when the notice period expires, OP needs to take her to court.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 4, 2014, 10:47 AM
    On the other hand, if she agreed to pay some portion of the apartment upkeep and has not, that could be considered non payment and entitle to use a Pay or Quit notice to vacate. A Pay or Quit states that the tenant (and she is a tenant at this point) must pay all they owe by a specified deadline or vacate. The deadline will depend on local law.

The disadvantage of a Pay or Quit is that she can pay what she owes and stay. If she refuses to vacate after the notice period expires, they you have to go to court to file for an eviction order.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Eviction [ 4 Answers ]

Im in Henderson Nevada and was evicted The landlord refuses to give me my belongings in the house before I pay him a $200 fee for moving stuff into garage. $125 fee for eviction. And $20 a day storage fee. Us this allowed?

Eviction [ 13 Answers ]

I have a house I purchased in Rochester there were tenants already in it I now rent to they wanted me to buy the house so gave me some $ toward the closing but I bought it and everything is in my name and we have no written agreement now I'm having trouble getting them out

VA eviction notice.can we pay and stop the eviction [ 3 Answers ]

My son and his wife are living in VA in a rental house. Rent is due the 1st with a 5 day grace period. When they realized they weren't going to be have money for rent until the 18th (wife is a teacher and that is her monthly payday) she called the rental agent and explained. She was told that as...

Possible eviction [ 1 Answers ]

I came from NJ here in Fl. Just 2mo. Rented condo from in law and brother. They raised my rent $100 one day after being here. Verbal agreement, no lease. I then asked for a lease, I am still waiting. I found out 2wks ago they were and have been behind in their condo fees despite my rental payment...

Kentucky eviction law motion for eviction [ 8 Answers ]

Hi I really need help I bought a house for 30,000 from a lady we have just a one simple page contract basically states I paid 15000.00 dollars down In April 05' and then make payments of 400.00 a month for 36 months Contract has no sell as is in it because at time of sale we the lady homeowner...

View more questions Search