Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    margie33 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2014, 08:13 PM
    Does my husband qualify for citizenship?
    My husband has been in US 13 years. We are married. I'm a US citizen. We have 3 children who are also US citizens but in 2000 he claimed false citizenship at the border. Under Obama's new immigration reform will my husband qualify?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 1, 2014, 03:56 PM
    I doubt it. More details would be nice, like his original status when he came here.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 1, 2014, 04:32 PM
    NOBODY gets citizenship that easily. Unles they were born here to US citzen parents.

He's got a lot of hurdles to jump IF he is even qualified for those to begin with.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 1, 2014, 04:38 PM
    First this is not reform, it is merely a Presidential order, that is easily changed by another president or by Congress. There has been no official laws and policy changes, only orders on how to enforce current laws (or not enforce current laws)

But if he has already had a record, it is doubtful he will be accepted. Citizenship and legal status to stay in the country are two different things. He can and should hire an immigration attorney and attempt it. Since that is his only choice of being here correctly
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 2, 2014, 07:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy
    NOBODY gets citizenship that easily. Unles (sic) they were born here to US citzen (sic) parents.
    The way I read the 14th Amendment, the parental citizenship of people born in the US is immaterial. If they were born here, "... and subject to the jurisdiction [of the United States]", they are citizens.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2014, 01:04 PM
    Its not just that simple... or automatic or assumed in those cases. Particularly if they can't produce required documentation to prove it for whatever reason which does happen. Because in their case...they would HAVE to prove the claim.
    NYcityboy Posts: 785, Reputation: 65

Dec 4, 2014, 02:15 PM
    A "false claim to citizenship" is one of the worst offenses in U.S. immigration law, and severely punished. It is punishable by a permanent bar. There are a few very minor, very specific exceptions. the executive orders will not fix this long term.

Please confirm this with an experienced immigration attorney. You can check with your State Bar or AILA for a reference. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I qualify for German citizenship if Grandfather was German? [ 1 Answers ]

If my grandfther was German but My mother was born there but soon after moved to another country when her parents divorced and I became a citizen of another country through birth, do I qualify for German citizenship due to my Grandfather being German? I was born in the 1980's

How do I qualify for citizenship. [ 1 Answers ]

I got married to my husband in 2001, I got my green card in 2004, in 2006 my husband left me for another woman, I will like to file for my citizenship in May , it will be four years and nine months, I have gotten the forms to file, but they are asking for my husband name and address, and other...

Qualify for citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter turned 18 yrs old 6 months before I became a naturalized citizen. Can she obtain citizenship under me? My original swear in date was scheduled before she was 18, however that date was rescheduled by the INS. Please help.

How can my husband qualify for a mortgage? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband has no credit, and nobody wants to qualify him for credit. If he is not giving at least one opportunity, how is he going to establish credit? Help!! We will like to purchase a home. All we get is promises but no solutions.

View more questions Search