Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    honcho522 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2014, 02:50 PM
    How to connect receiver box and my dvd/vhs recorder
    I previously had a cable company and their receiver box was connected to my dvd/vcr recorder. I could record only what was showing on the TV at the time and that was OK with me.
    With the current Direct setup I cannot record anything. I can play dvds and vcr tapes as I did before. I simply cannot record. The installation tech did not reconnect Direct's box to my recorder. I connected the two myself. At no time were any of the wires disconnected from the recorder. Only the receiver connection was missing. I connected the three wires (red white and yellow) to the output connections on the receiver but it doesn't work.
    Note: The receiver is connected to the TV (HDMI1) via a HDMI cable and the recorder is also connected to the TV (HDM2) via a second HDMI cable.
    Any solution to this problem?
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

Nov 28, 2014, 07:45 PM
    To me it sounds like the cable box was connected to the DVD/VCR and then the DVD/VCR fed to your TV. My guess is that it was not HDMI.

Because Hollywood is afraid you might copy a movie, there is probably no HDMI input on your DVD/VCR. So you need to see if there is an additional output on the DirectTV receiver that you can use to hook into your DVD/VCR. This might be a coax connection, a composite video connection, or component video connection. See what inputs your DVD/VCR has and try to find a matching output on your DirectTV receiver. Hopefully the receiver will output to both the HDMI and whatever additional output you choose.

You'll still have to set your DirectTV receiver to the channel you want to record, and you'll need to set your VCR to record from whatever input you've chosen to go between your DVD/VCR and the DirectTV receiver.

It will probably look something like the diagram below:
    Name:  2013-03-12_073140_untitled_-_2.jpg
Views: 8671
Size:  275.1 KB

Hope this helps,
    WallyH

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to connect a Toshiba D-VR660 (DVD video recorder/VHS recorder to----with splitter [ 0 Answers ]

How to connect a Toshiba D-VR660 (Dvd recorder/Video cassette recorder, a motorola HDTV cable box, memorex dvd player and a olevia HDtv with a splitter? I would like to be able to record a TV show while while a dvd on the memorex dvd player. How do I use the source inptu for these devices?

How to hook up a DVD/VHS recorder, HDTV, and cable box? [ 5 Answers ]

More specifically... A Panasonic DMR-EZ475V, a Sharp Aquos 1080p HDTV, and a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4250HDC cable box We have tried to use all of the diagrams provided by Panasonic to hook up the 3 devices, but none included the use of an HDMI cable. If anymore details are needed, will...

How to connect a dvd/vhs recorder to a dvr [ 1 Answers ]

How to connect a dvd/vhs recorder to a dvr

Connect DVR, DVD/VHS recorder, TV [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a complicated set of stuff to connect. Complicated for me anyway! Most things I can figure out but this one has me stumped. The components are TV, cable DVR, and a DVD/VHS combo recorder. I've been able to get the cable TV signal to show up, and also the VHS tape to play,...

Dish Receiver, Home Theater, and DVD/VHS recorder [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Dish network receiver with dvr. I also have a Samsung home stereo system with a dvd player. I just bought a Samsung DVD-VHS recorder. I want to connect these all together to my standard digital TV. I'm having trouble figuring out the connections. The manual diagrams seem very confusing.

View more questions Search