Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2015, 09:00 AM
    In this anti-cop environment ....my only critique of the cop is that he didn't call for backup .
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 23, 2015, 09:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    In this anti-cop environment ....my only critique of the cop is that he didn't call for backup .
    Because she didn't signal when changing lanes? How many times have you done that, even out of state, even with a cop nearby, and didn't get pulled over?

***Added*** Her big mistake was arguing with him.
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2015, 10:03 AM
    yes her big mistake was arguing with him . He would NOT have asked her to get out of the car if she had been reasonable . And for the record ,I think the signal law should be enforced more often . I consider it a dangerous situation when drivers don't signal their intentions . I have had to brake hard more than once because of that .
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2015, 10:25 AM
    I consider it a dangerous situation when drivers don't signal their intentions . I have had to brake hard more than once because of that .
    Well there's one driver one that won't be bothering you anymore.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2015, 11:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    He apparently did call for backup while he was still next to her car. Unfortunately, if she had simply complied, whether she agreed or not, a ticket would likely have been the only outcome.

The debate now will be should she have been placed on suicide watch.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2015, 08:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Well there's one driver one that won't be bothering you anymore.
    Yes seems to be a trend
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2015, 02:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Yes seems to be a trend
    Going unreported is the number of road rage incidents that result from the lack of courtesy for other drivers ;like doing the simple ,basic things ;like signaling before changing lanes.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2015, 02:13 AM
    Yes seems to be a trend
    It's a very violent society.

‘No Way To Prevent This,’ Says Only Nation Where This Regularly Happens - The Onion - America's Finest News Source
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 24, 2015, 04:14 AM
    Ordering her to put out her cigarette is a lawful police order?
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2015, 04:57 AM
    Why should he be concerned, he was writing a ticket, unless she was blowing smoke up his nose. There is a lot of attitude in all of this and it would seem cops need more training
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2015, 05:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Ordering her to put out her cigarette is a lawful police order?

Retired Los Angeles Police Capt. Greg Meyer said Bland's behavior led to the result.
    “Officers have complete discretion to control the movements of the violator, including making them get out the car,” he said.
    Meyer said it is standard practice to have someone put out their cigarette.
    “No one, including a police officer, wants to get a burning cigarette jammed into their face or eye; it’s basic procedure,” he said. “The officer asked politely if she would mind putting out her cigarette. The violator then raised her voice, actively resisted multiple lawful directions to get out of the car. The officer requested a backup officer to respond. The officer raised his voice several times in what turned out to be a futile effort to overcome that resistance.”
    In hindsight, Meyer said, it may have been better to wait for backup. “The lady seemed committed to her resistance to lawful detention and arrest, so the presence of a backup unit might not have made much difference,” he said.
    “This is yet another case of someone who chooses to illegally resist the directions of a police officer, thus escalating the situation, “ he said.
    LA Times
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 24, 2015, 06:17 AM
    WATCH: Dashcam Video of Sandra Bland Traffic Stop Arrest | Heavy.com

Texas trooper who arrested Sandra Bland violated police policies: investigators

7 important questions about the arrest, assault, and death of Sandra Bland

The officer is being investigated over this arrest. To suggest this officer was in fear of his safety over a freakin' cigarette since she was cooperative to that point is pretty lame. He rode up on her in the first place, stopped her and took her out of dash cam range where he conveniently started having problems.

She was charged with assaulting an officer, not disobeying a lawful order. That in itself is suspicious.
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2015, 06:24 AM
    Perhaps he was looking for a little on the spot penalty. I think his behaviour indicates he is an offender and this time he got caught

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Public opinion best for me [ 3 Answers ]

Just recently released from prison (25 years).want to drive truck, need training, help obtaining employment, who best fit to help? Want a job, but not at the luxury of the company screwing me over in a contract. Plus, want to be home regularly, nightly, been a way from loved ones for to long.

What is your opinion of PDA (Public Display of Affection)? [ 13 Answers ]

What is your opinion of PDA (Public Display of Affection)? My girlfriend hates when I wrap my arm around her waist in public. She thinks it's PDA. What do you think? Am I wrong, or is she? We both are well educated, mature and, working. I never kiss her on her lips in public. I will never be...

What is your opinion about lend america [ 3 Answers ]

I would like some information about lend america. I have heard some bad news and good news.

Public opinion polls [ 3 Answers ]

Based on public opinion polls it would appear that a majority of American A. can understand government if they try b. have never been asked about their ability to understand government c. find government easy to understand d. find government complicated and fell inadequate to understand it

Government Influence on Public Opinion? [ 2 Answers ]

Could anyone help me out -- I need to do a position paper on the following question: To what extent should governments attempt to influence public opinion. I need examples too please. Thanks

View more questions Search