Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hunter1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 26, 2005, 06:03 PM
    TV power surge
    :eek: We had a wiring mishap... and our TV was connected to a 240 volt circuit. The resulting power surge seems to have fried the TV as it will not turn on... The receiver blew smoke out, but the VCR still works... Is there any help for the TV (internal fuse,reset?)? All 3 were connected.

Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2005, 07:38 PM
    You could open it up and look. Most resets are on the outside. Something's do have a fuse soldered in near where the power comes in. If blown, you could replace it. Also in the immediate area, look for power resistors. They are often ceramic, long with a square cross section. If any look burned, check it with an ohmmeter. You may be able to read its value, but should be 10-100 ohms. Radio Shack should have new ones for about a buck. Look for other obviously fried parts. With shop labor and prices for a new one, it is seldom worth paying to have things repaired if not something simple you can do. I find that dismaying.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2005, 08:17 AM
    240 volts
    Hi,
    The other expert's answer is very good. But, if you are not familiar with an ohmmeter, you might want to take it to a TV Appliance sales/repair store near you. They can determine if it is worth fixing; and if lucky, won't charge you anything.
    However, if the TV was designed for 120 volts, and not 240, it is now fried completely!
    Best of luck,
    fredg

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Power dvd 5 [ 6 Answers ]

Right, I need some help with an error I keep getting while trying 2 watch dvds. It says that my " tv out put port of my diplsay card is not working properly" and I don't know how to solve this problem.. can anyone help?

Power cut off [ 3 Answers ]

After working on my PC for a few hours all power drops off. Immediately after, I just un-plug my modem and plug it back in again, the power light comes on and just by unplugging and plugging in the power cable to the back of the tower, it starts again. I don't think it's over heating, could it be a...

Toilet water surge [ 2 Answers ]

Randomly through the day our toilet makes this 30 second water surging sound.  When I look in the toilet bowl I see ripples of water thinking it is new water coming in. What can we do?

View more questions Search