Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tvindivo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2007, 07:45 PM
    Smell coming from shower
    I recently purchased a home, the people had a shower built into the basement. I am getting a fowl smell coming from the shower drain when I use the washer. I started to look into this a bit further, I found that the shower doesn't have a p-trap installed, nor can one be installed as the abs piping is cemented into the ground and there is only 3" of abs pipe before the shower base. If I put water down the drain before the washer is used the smell is not there. Is there something that can be done to get rid of this horride smell. Other than remove the shower and cap of the pipe.
    Please let me know. Thanks Trevor
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 8, 2007, 08:00 PM
    Previous home owner was no plumber. The right way to fix this is to rip it out and tear up the floor. If you want to go this route I'm sure you'll come back with more questions. For now do one of two things. Semi-permanet put duck tape over the drain. Short term, get some red rub gasket material at the hardware store. Cut it the size of the drain trim and grease it with vasoline or cooking oil. Place it on the drain trim and give it a slight twist to seal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Really bad smell coming from Whirlpool dryer [ 3 Answers ]

Discovered a noxious odor last night coming from our dryer. Husband has gotten the front panel off and vaccuumed everything we can see. Also removed the lint filter cover and cleaned that out. Nothing's in the vanes... Any ideas? The back panel seems to be spot-welded on (or at least painted...

Where's the smell coming from [ 4 Answers ]

Hey all, I'm new here and I just moved into an older house that my friend is renting to me. I moved in a month ago, but I just started smelling something about 2 to 3 weeks ago. At first I thought it smelled like gas, so I called the gas company. I noticed that the smell only occurred...

Pet smell coming through the drain [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My downstairs neighbor's apartment reeks of pet smell. They have dogs, birds etc in a very small apaartment. Since I have moved in there has been a really bad odor coming up through the drains in the bathroom. Can someone give me an idea on how to correct this? My thought is that they...

Smell coming from toilet [ 3 Answers ]

Please help - our guest bathroom has this awful smell coming from the toilet - And we are at a loss to what it is from. We have a septic tank but the master bath doesn't smell at all. I was told to check the vent, or the wax seal to the floor. What do you think or is there something else I...

Smell coming up sink drain pipe [ 1 Answers ]

I have read the info on smelly sink but I think this case is slightly different. There is a black smelly sludge evident on the outside gulley trap which I have now cleared. But this evil sludge is coming from the plastic pipe joining sink to gulley. I am unable to get right through the pipe to...

View more questions Search