Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    czamalynski Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2014, 09:28 PM
    Hiring practices
    My husband was offered a ft perm job twice by a company and had accepted and then was told the company could not hire him. They brought him back 3 times by contract and in the mean time hired 2 men with same qualifications?

• Aug 2013- hired temporarily for a shutdown
    • Dec 2013- hired temporarily for shutdown
    • Feb 6 2014-offered and accepted permanent FT job
    • Feb 11, 2014-Offer taken away because they needed to interview more people
    • another person hired for position
    • May 2014-called in to fix a machine from May 3-9, 2014
    • June 2014-hired by contract for ft work,
    • July 2014-told that due to budget constraints could not hire.
    • Oct 9-Jan 2 hired for weekends by contract
    • Nov 16, 2014-walked off job because another person was hired ft again before me without any notice from management.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 22, 2014, 04:27 AM
    In the US?
    There is federal law, state law, union protections if a union, and published company policy, if any.
    Was any paperwork signed on 2/6/14, and was he an employee for five days?
    What does 'hired by contract for ft work' mean in light of being told a month later that they could not hire? A ft temporary contract that might lead to being offered a job?
    Was the most recent contract supposed to result in a wage position too?
    Just from what you have written, I don't see any recourse. You may want to talk over the phone with a labor lawyer, because a lot more info is needed.
    I don't see that the employer was under any obligation to give any notice to a contract worker before hiring anyone else, unless there were promises made, hopefully in writing. Verbal promises would be hard to prove.

'Same qualifications' doesn't really speak to all that goes into a job offer. The big one is how much they can get away with paying. If your husband's past salaries were pretty high, that can work against him. His health can work against him. Smoking, getting along with others, taking direction well... anything except race and gender and the other civil rights.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 22, 2014, 05:41 AM
    So much depends on where you live, and where job is at.

Is there a union, was any of the job offers in writing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Negligent Hiring Practices [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I worked for a company from 2/2010 to 4/2011 recruiting truck drivers. They did not perform background checks on employees or on the truck drivers we hired. It has recently came to light that my ex-supervisor at this job had an attempted murder charge on her record from 15 years ago &...

Management Practices [ 1 Answers ]

How can management practices speed receivables collection? Which practices slow this collection? How have recent changes in the banking industry influenced the process?

Ethical practices [ 7 Answers ]

What is the relationship of constructive ethical practices to organizational performance?

Marketing to Medical Practices [ 1 Answers ]

My company is a Full-Service computer solutions provider. I want to effectively market to medical practices but after sending intro letters, dropping off post card, etc. I find that the penetration rate is very low and unfortunately, I don't have a pharmaceutical marketing budget. I need to...

Improper labor practices [ 3 Answers ]

My 19 year old daughter is away at school in Chicago. She got a part time job at a talent agency which paid $10 an hr plus they promised to pay her transportation costs. She walks for about an hour and then takes a train from Chicago to Highland Park. Her 1st paycheck bounced. It took weeks to get...

View more questions Search