Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    noboat4 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2014, 02:44 PM
    RMD question
    I recently turned 70.5 years old & did the RMD from my ira. I elected to not have federal taxes withheld, but I'm wondering if that was a mistake. Could I be fined or penalized when I file my 2014 taxes for not having taxes withheld? Thanks
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 17, 2014, 03:02 PM
    Yes, in my opinion it was a mistake to not have federal taxes withheld. Reason is that (a) come April you will have to find the cash to pay the tax man, and more importantly (b) you may owe interest on the underpayment of taxes during the year. In general the interest is due if you don't pay at least 90% of the total tax bill during the year, but there is an exception if you pay at least as much as last year's tax bill. My advice is to have them withhold taxes, and that way reduce the risk of having to pay interest.
    noboat4 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2014, 03:27 PM
    I have already took the RMD, is it possible to pay the taxes on it now, to avoid the underpayment interest. How should I proceed to do this?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 17, 2014, 03:31 PM
    You can file a quarterly estimated income tax payment, using form 1040-ES. See:
    Internal Revenue Service/pub/irs-pdf/f1040es.pdf

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Failure to RMD for 2013 [ 7 Answers ]

I am going crazy with being the care giver for my wife full time for over a year, I think I failed to make the MRD for my 2013 taxes. Is it to late, to keep from getting the penalty?

Can a transfer satisfy my RMD? [ 9 Answers ]

Can I transfer a stock from an IRA account to a Taxable Account and still satisfy my Required Minimum Deduction for the year?

What are the tax consequences of not taking your RMD at 70 1/2? [ 1 Answers ]

When are you required to take the minimum distribution from your qualified IRA ?

Partial RMD made [ 1 Answers ]

Our Mom passed, left 2 IRA's. The IRA's were distributed to 6 beneficiary accounts. WE found out that Mom had only a partial RMD taken out. For ease, let's say the RMD was $12000.00 and she had taken half. Now the 6 beneficiaries must make up the remaining $6000.00. How do we handle form 5329...

RMD from an inherited IRA [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My minor boys inherited an IRA from my parents when they passed away. Last week I received a letter stating that they (Financial Institution) records indicating that the boys are not currently set up to receive systematic distributions. And if they do not take a distribution--it could...

View more questions Search