Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    051863 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2014, 12:55 PM
    Citizenship
    Hi. I'm running on my third year as an immigrant but my wife is on her 36 years as an immigrant but never get into US citizenship. My question is that if she will go to her citizenship now, do I still need to wait for another 3 years before I can apply as a US citizen?
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

Nov 17, 2014, 02:25 PM
    I think that by "immigrant" you mean "permanent resident".

For the 3-year rule for naturalization, you need to have been a permanent resident for 3 years, married to someone who is a citizen for 3 years, and that person needs to have been a citizen for 3 years. So if your spouse became a citizen right now, that rule would still be inapplicable until 3 years later.

You would be eligible for naturalization under the 5-year rule (be a permanent resident for 5 years) sooner.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Citizenship [ 0 Answers ]

I have been a green card holder since May 5 2006. I returned back to my home country 3 months after that around Jul/August 2006 but after I had applied for a travel permit. I returned back to to the states on April 15 2008 and I have not left the states since then. Am I eligible to apply for the...

How do I gain citizenship in europe and renounce my citizenship in America [ 23 Answers ]

I have always wanted to move away from the U.S. but I want to do it permanently without the hassle of work visas and "checking in" every year or so. All the flights are very expensive as well. I was told by an acquaintance that I can even receive money for renouncing my citizenship! How do I go...

Citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my name is Holly I am writing to ask you a question about citizenship. My husband is from El Salvador and he passed his U.S. citizenship test. He is going to his ceremony soon. And he had a question for you he wants to petition for his family to come here and his question is that he has a niece...

View more questions Search