Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    harum Posts: 339, Reputation: 27

Nov 13, 2014, 07:49 AM
    Stuck fireplace damper
    Hello,

I want to get our fireplace in working condition and wonder if anyone could comment on the following questions:

(a) The fireplace has a damper stuck in the half-open position. It's somewhat bent too. I at least want to be able to close it to minimize heat loss. Can I just straighten it up and apply WD-40 for several days to get it moving? Or should I think about replacing/retrofitting it by a professional? The picture below is looking up.

(b) Not sure when was the last time the previous owners serviced the fireplace. If I have to hire a professional, what charge should I expect for a basic check-up and cleaning?

Would greatly appreciate any feedback and references to resources on fireplace maintenance.

Best wishes,
    h.
    Attached Images

Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Nov 13, 2014, 05:41 PM
    I couldn't begin to guess at what it might cost to repair or replace the damper but I do suggest getting the fireplace & chimney checked by a local pro.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Nov 13, 2014, 06:58 PM
    I agree, that fireplace llok like it needs attention. I would replace that damper with a chiney cap damper spring loaded lid. I would do that after breaking the old one out.
    wop48 Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Nov 14, 2014, 07:04 PM
    Better get some advice from someone who knows about this kind of stuff.
    Remember carbon monoxide poisoning.
    harum Posts: 339, Reputation: 27

Nov 26, 2014, 11:30 AM
    Thanks for all the responses! I'm thinking of removing the old damper and installing a top lock chimney damper instead of the current spark arrest. Was wondering about what brands/models should I check first (for a flute on the photo), the ones that provide a good seal and won't break in two weeks? Thanks and Best Wishes, h.

Attachment 46861

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fireplace insert blower auto shutoff not working and damper rod vibrating [ 6 Answers ]

I bought a Hampton Fireplace insert about 6 years ago and had it installed in my fireplace that until then, had glass doors. The insert has worked wonderfully in my house except for two things: 1) the damper rod vibrates and it constantly needs to be adjusted in order to quiet it down. It's very...

Fireplace Damper Lock [ 17 Answers ]

Hello, I received a home inspection report from a prospective buyer that indicates that "The damper for the fireplace gas starter is not locked open. Operating the gas starter with the damper locked open will...(all sorts of bad things)". My question is two fold: 1) Is having the damper...

Fireplace replacement throat damper? [ 0 Answers ]

Have an old throat damper with the knob that you slide by hand on the inside of the fireplace. The blades that slide with the knob are broken and no longer move in unison. So every time we use it we have to individually move the blades out of the way, and then back again after it cools down. How do...

Fireplace throat damper needs replacement [ 1 Answers ]

When I looked up the chimney in the house we just moved into, found the throat damper doesn't stay closed. It's pretty badly corroded and should probably be replaced. It is one of the type that has a lever to close. How difficult a job is it to replace?

Fireplace damper [ 2 Answers ]

Hi,this is whisky4,I was wondering if there is ratio that you use to determine the size and how much you can close up the throat of a fireplace to make it more efficentor do you just play it ear,i.e. close it up until it smokes then back off,thank,s

View more questions Search