Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PECIE Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2007, 04:17 PM
    As a boy should I shave my armpit hairs off or not ?
    Hi I am a 13 year old boy and I just got my armpit hairs , and as I see them grow I see that from the little line of hairs I used to have more hairs grow and more and more and they have become longer hairs as well, this are my first armpit hairs . And I wonder if should I get rid of them or not ? I personally don't like my armpit hairs ,they are black and curly and some longer than the other , I just don't like them.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2007, 04:25 PM
    If you do not like them then shave it off if you feel. Just remember the more you shave the thicker it will grow next time. Also underarms are a very sensitive area and your at risk of lots of irritation. If you shave and then use underarm deoderant then your skin is at a higher risk of irritation plus the open skin from the razor will give the deoderant a direct root to go into your body.

I personally feel there is not a need to shave in that area and no one expects you too. On the other hand it is expected of women.

Just to let you know, I have shaved there twice in my life and it is weird and does not feel right.

Joe
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 8, 2007, 04:28 PM
    It is all personal opinions, I normally keep mine shaved, started doing it when I was in college on the swim team and just still do out of habit I guess
    Alwyzsunny Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Apr 8, 2007, 06:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by PECIE
    Hi i am a 13 year old boy and i just got my armpit hairs , and as i see them grow i see that from the little line of hairs i used to have more hairs grow and more and more and they have become longer hairs as well, this are my first armpit hairs . and i wonder if should i get rid of them or not ? I personally don't like my armpit hairs ,they are black and curly and some longer than the other , i just don't like them.
    Remember when you shave, it will grow back. Eventually it will get thicker and darker.
    If you don't like it, shave it.. Maybe when it starts growing in thicker you can just start trimming it. Eventually you may find a happy medium you are happy with. A lot of men shave their armpits for sports and for personal reasons such as this.
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Apr 8, 2007, 08:26 PM
    Boys and girls both begin to grow hair under their arms and in other parts of the body. As you go through puberty, the hair becomes longer, thicker, heavier, curlier, and sometimes darker. You shouldn't be alarmed, it's perfectly normal for boys to have hair under their arms.
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 8, 2007, 08:41 PM
    Prob not it just sounds like it would be sore
    mummy lover Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Apr 9, 2007, 07:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by PECIE
    Hi i am a 13 year old boy and i just got my armpit hairs , and as i see them grow i see that from the little line of hairs i used to have more hairs grow and more and more and they have become longer hairs as well, this are my first armpit hairs . and i wonder if should i get rid of them or not ? I personally don't like my armpit hairs ,they are black and curly and some longer than the other , i just don't like them.
    Boys shall not shave it under there I don't know why but just don't
    Eeeeewwwwwwww eeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwww
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 17, 2007, 08:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3046
    Prob not it just sounds like it would be sore

Ok here I will tell you something, you must be a little girl for even considering this.
    Uber Member

Apr 18, 2007, 01:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3046
    Ok here I will tell you something, you must be a little girl for even considering this.
    Now that was funny. Did not like the advice from before. Must be Hmmm.
    ashleysb Posts: 179, Reputation: 39

Apr 18, 2007, 01:41 AM
    I would say most males do not shave their underarms, but if it bothers you, than there is no reason why you can't. I don't think it will be sore, though. I have shaved my underarms for years and never had any problems with it. Just make sure to get the area really wet and apply a shave cream/gel and use a sharp razor. And you will probably need to do it about everyday or every other day.
    surferbabe715 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2007, 05:59 PM
    Most guys don't shave their underarm hairs unless you are on swimteam or something... but I wouldn't girls might think you are weird for doing that
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2007, 06:30 PM
    Try it once and see how it feels and looks. If you do not like the results, it will grow back. I do agree that there are guys who do shave their underarms for sports such as swimming for even surfing and some wrestlers shave also. It is done and not that uncommon. You might get some teasing about it from the other guys, esp. in gym or phy ed. That is how it goes.
    Uber Member

Apr 20, 2007, 10:28 PM
    Growing hair in those areas are signs of passage hood from boy to man.
    vcal Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Apr 25, 2007, 02:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76
    If you do not like them then shave it off if you feel. Just remember the more you shave the thicker it will grow next time. Also underarms are a very sensitive area and your at risk of lots of irritation. If you shave and then use underarm deoderant then your skin is at a higher risk of irritation plus the open skin from the razor will give the deoderant a direct root to go into your body.

I personally feel there is not a need to shave in that area and no one expects you too. On the other hand it is expected of women.

Just to let you know, I have shaved there twice in my life and it is weird and does not feel right.

Joe

Actually it's a myth that hair grows back thicker or even darker if shaved off. Shaving is a method of cutting the hair at the skin surface and has no effect on the hair shaft below the surface, which is where growth and pigmentation occur. In fact hair growing back thicker or darker after shaving is simply an illusion. As hair grows it becomes narrower at the tips, however when hair is shorter the hair is more stubbly and more noticeable against the shaven skin so people just assume that shaving causes hair to grow back thicker and darker.

In response to pecie:

If you do not like them then feel free to shave them off. However, be aware that in today's society it is not really considered the norm when a male shaves off their armpits hair. Usually society expects women to shave their armpit hairs. If you decide to shave your armpits and then change your mind, just stop shaving, eventually your armpit hair will grow in, and it will not get any thicker or darker than before. However, If these are your first hairs then you can expect that over time your hair will naturally get thicker and possibly darker, but this is not a result of shaving, it is the natural course of puberty.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Legs: To shave or not to shave [ 29 Answers ]

Who or what started the trend that women should shave their legs and why?

Lump under left armpit [ 15 Answers ]

Hi I have found a lump under my left armpit the size of a pea. It is hard and does move around when you feel it. I also have a dull ache across my back across my shoulder blades. I also have a dull ache going from the armpit to my left breast almost like a growing pain that I remember...

Bad ingrown hairs [ 4 Answers ]

I suffer from ingrown hairs. I exfoliate and moisturize everyday, but still the worst part is my legs. It is only in one section on both legs, the bottom front of my calves. Ive tried this "Ingrown Go" lotion stuff, but that didn't work I used to wax/epilate and I got them, so I switched to...

Ingrown hairs [ 2 Answers ]

I have developed a problem with in grown hairs after I started waxing my bikini line. I realised that I had to stop waxing but it is still a problem. Now I have several unsightly scars and I want to know if there is anyway of reducing the redness.

More about shaving your pubic hairs... [ 3 Answers ]

Hey... I am just 15 and I shaved my dick and balls for the first time the other night. I didn't really know what I was getting into, but I just think I wan't to let it grow out and not shave. But I am really worried about if it will be a lot longer than before or really dark or more bushy than...

View more questions Search