Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wallabee4 Posts: 294, Reputation: 19

Nov 12, 2014, 01:32 PM
    Anyone know of a timer to use to fall asleep instead of one to wake up?
    I am having some insomnia where I wake soon after falling asleep and my doctor says to only stay in bed 20 minutes trying to fall back to sleep and if it takes longer I should instead get up and do something else to break a pattern of wakefulness in bed. But I am also not supposed to look at a clock.

So I am looking for a 'timer' solution that can count down 20 minutes but then I need it to NOT sound an alarm so if I am asleep I stay asleep and am not woken up by an alarm.

I am thinking I could listen to my MP3 player as I try to fall back asleep and set it to 20 minutes for it to go to sleep and if I am still awake when the music shuts off then I know I need to get up, if I am asleep, well then I am asleep.

But, it is a bit complicated to turn on the MP3 players and go through the menu choices to set 20 minutes for it to shuffle songs and then sleep after 20 minutes, I don't want to use that much brain function which I fear will more fully waken me when I don't want that if I wake up middle of the night. I'd like something I can have set before bedtime and if I wake up middle of the night I need only reach out and hit one button for it to start playing a quite sound or music and then turn itself off in 20 minutes so I know 20 minutes is up.

Anybody have a solution?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 12, 2014, 01:40 PM
    You're overthinking this. No wonder you have trouble sleeping and staying asleep! Consider taking Melatonin an hour before bed. Of course, make sure your doctor is okay with that. Also, develop a boring bedtime routine that you do every evening.

Nov 12, 2014, 01:46 PM
    Thanks, but I wasn't looking for sleep help, I already have a doctor's advice. I wasn't sure where to categorize this question either.

Do know about melatonin. I am supposed to take the melatonin when I awake and doctor told me to start this stimulus therapy where I limit the time I lie in bed so I don't associate bed with lying there awake. I have to give melatonin time to work (20-30 mins) but not stay for an hour or more as I have been doing. It's not the original falling asleep that is the problem. I don't need sleep info, I need 'timer' info.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 12, 2014, 02:03 PM
    Why bother with a timer? Take the Melatonin an hour or so before you want to sleep. You shouldn't wake up soon after falling asleep.

Nov 12, 2014, 02:14 PM
    Hello, I do appreciate your responses but they are not helpful because I do in fact wake up (melatonin before bedtime or not) after only 3 hours of sleep. Please stick to the topic of my question and not argue with my needs or advice of my doctor who is much more familiar with my situation than you are. Melatonin is not a magic cure all. No offense intended, but you really are not helping me get useful responses
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 12, 2014, 02:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wallabee4 View Post
    Hello, I do appreciate your responses but they are not helpful because I do in fact wake up (melatonin before bedtime or not) after only 3 hours of sleep. Please stick to the topic of my question and not argue with my needs or advice of my doctor who is much more familiar with my situation than you are. Melatonin is not a magic cure all. No offense intended, but you really are not helping me get useful responses
    You are quite the jerk, aren't you?

You don't need a timer, just look at your watch.

Nov 12, 2014, 02:40 PM
    Geez, forget it. Unless someone can explain to me exactly how to get a question answered as asked. You all know what happens when you assume don't you? And you call me the jerk, huh?

Another tip to you great and wonderful wizards of knowledge who apparently live on this site, sleeplessness is a symptom of depression. So you all just helped me a whole lot by attacking me and calling me a jerk since you can't even read that my doctor says don't look at a clock. A watch is just a small clock, braniac. Yes, sarcasm intended. If you don't know the answer to a question while thinking you are always the experts then for gosh sake's have the human decency to just move on to another one and stop berating me. Don't bother to reply I've unsubscribed to your BS.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 12, 2014, 03:13 PM
    I had sleep problems, couldn't stay asleep after a few hours, so then remembered J_9's comments on another question on how to fall asleep and stay asleep, which work very well! But you have left the site.... Maybe go to Radio Shack or an electrinics store and ask if there is such a timer as what you want.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2014, 03:13 PM
    You get a clock radio and hit the sleep button. Mine can be set for 10-60 minutes.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 12, 2014, 04:31 PM
    Follow your doctors directions and forget the timer since that too is a clock of sorts that measures time. It would seem you have complicated his instructions by being stuck on the notion of 20 minutes when in fact it makes no difference if its 10, or 30 minutes.

Can't sleep? Get up and do something until your mind is ready to allow you to fall asleep! Keep it simple!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 12, 2014, 04:55 PM
    wallabee, I'm wondering if your doctor means 'don't look at a clock with a lighted dial?' I have sleeping problems, and I too never toss and turn, but get up til I'm tired again. I have a clock that lights when I touch it. If you are awake enough to reach out and touch a clock, isn't it OK to do so? I'm not quite getting the need for something more complicated.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 12, 2014, 05:35 PM
    You also have no business telliing anyone to stay on topic, wallabee4. You came here for advise and you take what you get and sift through it all.

We are all volunteers here with other jobs, professions to take care of, so just be thankful that you get any type of advice at all.

Your apologies would be appreciated.

I, along with Joy, find no need for something more complicated.

Melatonin, present in our bodies from birth, decreases as we get older. Artificial melatonin is just as effective and organic in the form we buy it in.

You have a computer, use it to solve your problem; set timers and get the results you want.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Phobia of trying to fall asleep [ 1 Answers ]

Well I've never been able to get to sleep easily. Its always took my an hour at least of lying there trying to clear my mind and drift off, and most of the time it's much more. And also, like many children, when sleeping out it came for the games to end and go to sleep Id start freaking out as my...

Is it normal to wake up on the opposite side of the bed that I fell asleep on? [ 4 Answers ]

I for the past few weeks I have been falling asleep on one side of the bed and waking up on the other. I was wondering if that is a sign of bad sleep and what causes it. Is it a bad thing?

Why When I fall asleep I wake up with stiff chest, but not when I'm awake inbed? [ 0 Answers ]

I had a muscle pull. And now when I fall asleep, I wake up a few hours later and my chest is totally stiff and painful. But if I'm awaken and laying down in that same bed, I can stay there and not get hurt. So what makes it be that my chest gets stiff when I sleep?

Can't Fall Asleep [ 5 Answers ]

Its strange, I can't fall asleep. My mind races. I need to take a sleep-aid. But I don't want to become dependent on them. I take about 3/4 of the pill and it does the trick. Other than that, I can't sleep. I've tried different beds, different temperatures, wearing different clothing. I have...

Hand fell asleep won't wake 24 hours now [ 1 Answers ]

I thought shaking it would do it nothing works. What's wrong?

View more questions Search