Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ksk2 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2014, 08:50 AM
    Post to Classifieds link won't open
    I can browse CL, view postings, but cannot post or open my account link. I've posted to CL before on this computer. But suddenly started getting message that Internet Explorer Cannot Open the Webpage when I click the Post To Classified link. What can I do to fix it?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 8, 2014, 08:52 AM
    Completely clear your cache and start over.

Nov 8, 2014, 08:57 AM
    Cant open many Craigslist Links
    I've never had a problem before using Craigslist on this computer, but suddenly I get the message that Internet Explorer Cannot Display the Webpage when I click on many links on the craigslist site. I called my friend to determine if the website was having problems, but she can open the links. I also followed the Diagnose Connection Problems link on the error message page, everything seems to check out OK...

What's wrong and what can I check next?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 9, 2014, 09:54 AM
    Is your account still active or have you been suspended from cragslist ?

Nov 9, 2014, 04:26 PM
    Not suspended, that I know of. I get replies to posts I submitted a few weeks ago... the link to "my account" gives me the same IE message, so I can't find out anything that way. Maybe I could try to set up a new account with CL? I've spent two days following leads, because I'm irritated that something this silly could be so complicated, and everything I've learned about CL CS is that you will never get hold of a person, and only answers to FAQ online. I cleared my cache, and disabled the "save my favorites" cache, or whatever that feature is in IE 8 that cleares everything in the cache except favorites unless you specify. Took me 3 hours of googling how to do all that, including finding out what version of IE I have! I'm so green! All that work, and it didn't fix it. Irritating. I must have done/changed/removed something I need without knowing it.Thanks for the reply.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 9, 2014, 08:49 PM
    I dont go on craigslist. But I do have a question just in case. Does that website use Java ? If so it could be that your Java is out of date and the website for security reasons isnt letting you in. Also if your on a laptop you could try going in from a different location like one that offers free WiFi. It would change your IP address and bypass a simple form ban.

Nov 10, 2014, 07:24 AM
    Sounds good. I'm eager to try. Thank you for the problems solving strategies! I did recently do a mass uninstall of what I thought to be unnecessary programs, and possibly (probably) messed other stuff up. Funny, so far, only CL is affected.

Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    I dont go on craigslist. But I do have a question just in case. Does that website use Java ? If so it could be that your Java is out of date and the website for security reasons isnt letting you in. Also if your on a laptop you could try going in from a different location like one that offers free WiFi. It would change your IP address and bypass a simple form ban.

Sounds good. I'm eager to try. Thank you for the problems solving strategies! I did recently do a mass uninstall of what I thought to be unnecessary programs, and possibly (probably) messed other stuff up. Funny, so far, only CL is affected.

Nov 10, 2014, 09:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ksk2 View Post

I get the same IE message when I try to log in to my Target.com account. But other sites, like Amazon are OK. I checked Java, shows no new updates available. Since I can't contact craigslist, I'll contact target online support, see if anyone there knows anything.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 10, 2014, 12:43 PM
    Looks like you're trying to use a seriously OLD browser with IE 8.
    The latest is IE 11 available as a standalone installer here: Download Internet Explorer 11 - Microsoft Windows
    A better idea would be to try a completely different browser such as Google Chrome or irefox.

Nov 12, 2014, 02:06 PM
    You were right! Actually, I had IE 7, because I'm using Windows XP. So I did install Google Chrome, and ALL my problems disappeared, plus it's faster!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Selecting browser to open link [ 1 Answers ]

My default browser is Firefox. Occasionally there are links in emails that I want to open with IE. Is there a way to do this easily without having to copy and paste the shortcut?

You sent me an email with answer to my question but the link will not open [ 2 Answers ]

Link you gave me is not opening: www.askmehelpdesk.com/pools-spas-saunas/hooking-up-timer-small-motor-1-5-hp-110-v-pool-pump-519455-new-html

View more questions Search