Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stella549 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 5, 2014, 12:48 PM
    Theft for less than $5000
    Ok I am freaking out and kind of need some questions answered. I was working at a store and took so money from the register and it was a couple of times foe a total of $665 but they only charged me with one account of action. I have a court date coming up in a month and I have no idea what's going to happen. This is my first offense of anything, I'm a mother and I'm worried about the worst thing that can happen. I feel like I'm never going to see my daughter, can someone please shed some light on this situation.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Nov 5, 2014, 12:53 PM
    Hard to say, particularly without knowing where you are. But I would guess it would be a misdemeanor and the court will sentence you to some combination of community service, restitution, and a suspended sentence.

And you will, if it hasn't happened already, loose your job. If I was an employer, I wouldn't hire you for a job such as that that requires honesty.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 5, 2014, 06:00 PM
    Hate to say it but remorse usually starts when you get caught--" couple of times". Hope for a lenient judge. Have the restitution $$?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 5, 2014, 06:05 PM
    If you
    1. hire an attorney to represent you
    2. do not make any confessions to police and plead not guilty at first appearance unless you already have an attorney.
    3. normally attorney will advise a plea bargain, where you plead guilty, pay the money back, and the court will give you probation.

Of course I will assume you have lost your job.

*** worst case, max, about 1 year in jail,
    If you are married to child's father, then child stays with him.
    If divorced, child's father may ask court for temp custody.
    Of CPS takes child while you in jail.

Normally this will not happen, never really on first time, but that is about the worst that could happen

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

THEFT UNDER $5000 - second offence. (1st offence = theft from employer) [ 10 Answers ]

I am 19 years old. Living in british columbia, canada. Yesterday me and my friend were shoplifting at metrotown mall.. we were being followed around the mall because of our big purses and did not know it until we went into "old navy" where we saw a bunch of bathing suits and flip flops and jammed...

Theft Under $5000 [ 4 Answers ]

I was wondering what is the most you can get when someone has stole from the company registers at a Wal-Mart? Theft Under $5000. And it is a first offence?:confused:

Theft Under $5000 [ 17 Answers ]

Hi I'm from Ontario, Canada and have been charged with theft under $5000 and possession of stolen property. I was convicted of shoplifting an item under $30 and as I was about to walk out the store security stopped me and put my hands behind my back, I got a appearance notice. I know this was a...

Theft of 5000 [ 2 Answers ]

I received an expense check in my name for $5000 and did not apply it to my corporate company card. I have spent the money and am when I go to court what I will be charged with and possible outcome. I have started to pay back what I can but so far only $100.

Theft Under 5000/ way under 5000 [ 14 Answers ]

Okay this is probably one of the dumbest things I have done, day before yesterday I was caught on my own street with 2 other friends and I went into an open car, now I was not going to steal any money, I just didn't want to look like a pansy, I know stupid excuse. Anyway, right when I was in the...

View more questions Search