Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 4, 2014, 01:23 PM
    He is going to know something is going on when you go through withdrawals. You won't be able to hide that from him.

If you can't talk to him, talk to a school counselor. You can't do this on your own. I'm a nurse, I know how serious this is.
    Thinkaboutit Posts: 270, Reputation: 5

Nov 4, 2014, 01:29 PM
    How bad do you think it will be like getting off the pain pills can I do it on my own I've never really been determined to do it before only didn't have any cause had to wait to get some. Just want to know is it possible for me to do it,
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2014, 01:31 PM
    Well, I think you've made the right first step. You decided you want to do better and change, and you've started asking for help. The thing is though, you are going to have to change your perspective on your parents - they are frustrated and drilling you probably because they don't understand. They need to know all that you know about the problem, and it will release a huge burden for you if you tell them. Don't unleash it in an argument.

If you were my son (and I do have a 19 year old son) I would greatly respect if he came to me and said, "Mom, I need your help. I know I've made very bad decisions and I need to change but I'm having a hard time changing. Can you just listen to me while I tell you the whole story? I'm afraid if you interrupt in the middle I'm going to get defensive and shut down - I just want to give you all the information and then see if you can help me solve the problem."

Then, you tell them the whole story and you include the details and you don't leave any out. If you do, they won't trust that they know what they need to know and you will still be on the hot seat with them, and they will still hassle you. I know because as a Mom, if I sensed my son was holding back about something that put him in danger, I'd be like a pitt bull chewing on his last nerve until he told me the rest. I wouldn't want to do that, but am not sure I"d be able not to.

So then you tell them, "I have had a compulsion to take prescription medications. I am taking up to 4 at a time and what I've taken is Tramedol and (whatever you're taking - and tell the truth about how much). I first got if from (whomever or wherever) because I heard it would make me feel better and I just felt terrible about some things. I can tell you more about that later. When I ran out from that source, I got them from X, and then from X and now I am getting them from X. I don't so much feel chemically addicted as I do that I have a compulsive behavior but I don't really understand it.

I know I'm screwing up and am disappointing you and I need help. I will cooperate with whatever you recommend that I do because I know I can't do this alone. I am hoping that even though you're really mad at me and disappointed, you can put your anger and disappointment to the side until I'm doing better, and then we can deal with that later. I'm not sure I can handle it right now. Will you please help me?"

That's the idea of it. Just be honest. Tell your parents what you need. And be absolutely cooperative and willing and eager for their help. They will want you to go to rehab - that's pretty much a given. You need to go. Even if you don't think you are addicted, that's a start and will work on the emotional and psychological reasons. If it turns out to be the wrong place for you, it's still a start and will get you the referral to the right kind of program.

Be open. Don't expect to understand anything at first - just go with the flow, do what you're advised to do. Don't fight it. Submit to the fact that you are over your head and need some other people to take charge for a while. It may seem like you're losing control, but strangely, submitting to others and letting them kind of call the shots for you is what is going to lead you to independence. I know that sounds weird, but that is the truth.

I have known many people who struggled with addictive behaviors, substance issues and compulsions and the most freeing thing any of them have done was to say, "hell - I don't know what the F I'm doing trying to fix this problem. I need to turn it over to other people and to my God. Tell me what to do - I'll do it".

Nov 4, 2014, 01:32 PM
    Seriously friggin hell what have I got me self into. I didn't think straight out just didn't think I'm screwed now
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Nov 4, 2014, 01:38 PM
    What happened? Keep in mind - you're really young and every big problem will seem impossible (probably because you're new to managing adult problems). Every problem has a solution. Take a breath, tell us what's going on. What do you mean by being screwed?

Nov 4, 2014, 01:43 PM
    Wow thanks for the advise wish my parents were people I could talk to easily to be honest I don't think me dad would even let me explain very much to him I'd just end up getting a beating as soon as I said I was taking drugs, I've been busted drinking and my punishment was not very nice. I know I need help but I don't want to go to me dad. I don't know how mum would react but she doesn't even live in the same town as me. I've done a lot of wrong things to me mum that's why she sent me away. Oh by the way I'm not a boy I'm a girl didn't mention that

Nov 4, 2014, 01:54 PM
    Sorry I just meant I was screwed cause of the mess I've made of me life not thinking doing what ever I wanted to. And now what am I going to do to get myself out of this friggin hole I've dug. Yah me not stupid

Nov 4, 2014, 06:00 PM
    Thought about it heaps me dad and step mum are going away this weekend for 4 days I think, I'm going to stop taking them when they go so hopefully they won't notice anything. Talked to one of me friends at school he reckons it not so bad so I reckon I can do it by me self.thanks heaps for all the advice.
    Expert

Nov 4, 2014, 06:04 PM
    Good luck. You will need it especially if you are taking oxycontin.

Nov 4, 2014, 06:13 PM
    You make it sound really hard it can't be that hard me friend said it wasn't so bad I've only been taking the stuff for 6 months. I feel horrible when I stop taking them but he said it wouldn't last to long. Is it going to be hard I'm kind of scared now?
    Expert

Nov 4, 2014, 06:19 PM
    Here you go kiddo. This is what you have to look forward to.

The following are common symptoms of OxyContin withdrawal:

• Nausea.
    • Vomiting.
    • Diarrhea.
    • Coughing.
    • Runny nose.
    • Depression.
    • Anxiety.
    • Joint, muscle, and bone aches.

Oxy is extremely addictive. Going away with the folks for 4 days won't cure your addiction. You will still be withdrawing enough that when you get back you will be searching for another fix.

Nov 4, 2014, 06:33 PM
    Now I don't know what to do if I don't stop I could die but if I do try to I'm going to feel so bad I won't want to stop. Maybe if I try just stop taking the oxy and stay on the tramadol or get something else. Geez what am I going to do
    Expert

Nov 4, 2014, 06:37 PM
    You have to tell a trusted adult. That is the ONLY thing you can do if you want to fix yourself.

Nov 4, 2014, 06:55 PM
    The only thing geez if I knew it was going to be like this I'm going to be in so much trouble I guess there is No way me dad isn't going to find out then. I'm screwed no matter what I do. I don't see how any of it will help though I'm still going to have to go through it all and then everyone will just think I'm trouble. I'm so friggin mad them douche bags never said it would be his hard me own fault though
    Expert

Nov 4, 2014, 07:07 PM
    Your friends don't have any reason to tell you how hard withdrawal is. They are just making money off you.

You got yourself into this kiddo. You need help.

Nov 4, 2014, 07:08 PM
    If I tell me dad and he decides to send me to rehab how will it be any different than doing it by me self except me parents will know. I'm not really sure what rehab is all about?
    Expert

Nov 4, 2014, 07:25 PM
    Rehab will detox your system. You will also go through counseling to help you find out why you are doing drugs and how to stop.

Nov 4, 2014, 07:35 PM
    Ok but I don't need counselling I can stop I know I can I'm just worried about getting sick and me dad finding out. It's all really confusing. If only me dad didn't have to know. Anyway better decide what I'm going to do I suppose
    Expert

Nov 4, 2014, 07:38 PM
    You need counseling because it will teach you how to avoid this in the future.

Nov 4, 2014, 07:46 PM
    I need to pack me stuff and leave get away think that might be the easiest thing to do. I can't do this I'm to scared to tell me dad

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What can I do to make her stop that? [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter is now 12.She eats her nails all the time.I tried all my to make her stop.Every time she promises me to stop eating them but she keeps doing this bad habit .What do you advise me to do to make her stop eating her nails?

My shower heads make a high pitch noise how can I make it stop? [ 1 Answers ]

After the water runs for a minute, the shower heads start to make a high pitch noise.

How do I make myself stop [ 1 Answers ]

Threads merged I am having a really hard time letting go , I keep constantly txting her , constantly trying to find out if she is really dating who I suspect she is dating , I keep writing her letters I keep trying to get my best friend back . We have been broken up for 9 months after 3 years...

Why won't it stop? What would make it stop? [ 6 Answers ]

I don't know why But I can't let go of my ex. I don't care about anyone else I just want her. It has been going on now for 3 months. People say time will heal, how long of time? It is beginning to destroy my life I don't even want to get out of bed. I feel that I cannot be full again with out her?...

How do I make it stop? [ 2 Answers ]

Hey I have this personal preoblem with discharge No matter what I do I get heaps of discharge coming out of me so I have to wear these mini pads so it doesn't get my undies dirty. And don't say it's something that will pass on because I've had this problem for 3 years! PLEASE! HOW DO I...

View more questions Search