Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    csigsrfan Posts: 68, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2014, 02:07 AM
    Any tips for selling garage sale items online (like on craiglist)
    I am trying to sell some items online and cannot get any replies. Does anyone have tips for selling items online?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 4, 2014, 04:42 AM
    Try ebay. Also think about bundling items so people can get a good deal. Stay on top of shipping and present your self well so you can gain a good reputation. You can get repeat customers that way.

Nov 4, 2014, 04:45 AM
    Cannot sell on eBay has to be Craigslist and was not asking where asking how
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 4, 2014, 04:48 AM
    1 - They need to be worth enough to drive to see them, so nothing worth less than about $50 - and timely. No summer stuff now.
    2 - Prices have to be realistic, and that means a LOT less than they cost new, even if still new.
    3 - Lots of good pictures. Even one! No picture at all, the listing will be ignored.
    4 - Measurements
    5 - Good details about material, flaws, anything you can possibly think of.
    6 - For craigslist, your location is very important. If you don't want to give your address, give your street. No one wants to contact you only to find out it's far away.
    7 - Also for craigslist, give your phone number, spelling out one number to avoid scammers who call hundreds of people. You can of course just let them contact you through the protected messaging to your email, but phone numbers are faster for buyers, so your choice.
    8 - Keywords. Most people do a search on certain words. Not many people just look at every new listing, and those who do are usually dealers who will only pay pennies so they can resell.

If they aren't expensive enough to go through all the hassle for buyers, then save them for next summer's yard sale.

Two months ago I was looking for a recliner. There were so many dirty, worn out ones! Don't even bother trying to unload anything like that. It seems like there are more and more people trying to sell junk.

I am an experienced ebay seller. I know what items sell by time of year. Right now, good china sets, cookware, and holiday items. Anything brand new so it can be a gift, but again, if this is craigslist, it has to be worth driving to see. Good furniture, maybe, as well as renovation items, although those really sell best in May and June.

That's about it, unless you have things that are extremely rare/antique.

Nov 4, 2014, 04:50 AM
    So just throw everything Away is what your telling me and I will be driving to them. But I will just trash it all now thanks
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Nov 4, 2014, 05:11 AM
    You 'will be driving to them?' No no no.. you'd be sadly disappointed. They won't be there, they won't want it anymore, they won't give you a reasonable price, on and on... it's an open invitation to be taken advantage of. Unless it's a large item and you have a truck and they have been to your house to see it. I don't think you are cut out for this. Have an indoor tag sale.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 4, 2014, 05:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by csigsrfan View Post
    So just throw everything Away is what your telling me and I will be driving to them. But I will just trash it all now thanks
    Wow! I didn't see anywhere where anyone told you to throw everything away. You were given some very good advice as to how to sell your items and this is how you react?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 4, 2014, 05:29 AM
    Where did anyone say 'throw them away'. You came here looking for suggestions and you got some professional opinions, good opinions.

On second thought, you have to take a really good look at what you have for sale, figure in all the time consuming questions and answers, diddling around trying to figure out what you want to sell it for and realize it isd not worth it and give it all to charity. This time of year charities welcome this type of stuff so it can help others.

Myself, I would not have the time or the inclination to sell anything laying around in my basement unless it was something in the antique range that a price could be fixed on.

Nov 4, 2014, 05:57 AM
    ZIT as well trash it all it is all worthless and no one will drive to where I am to buy it . Please close topic

Charity will not take it some of us need to sell shot to live
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 4, 2014, 06:11 AM
    Yard sales, I used to pick up things people would sit out, to throw away and have a yard sale 2 times a year.

I will note, if you can not give it to a charity, it may be somewhat worthless.

But get with some neighbors and try to plan a group yard sale

Craigslist also has a free or give away section, you would be surprised at what people will drive and pick up
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 4, 2014, 07:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by csigsrfan View Post

Charity will not take it some of us need to sell shot to live
    I know this, but it is best some times to sell things that have at least a value to someone else. There are a lot of us here who work really hard to make a living past retirement and do what we can to survive.

Nov 4, 2014, 07:14 PM
    Pleasxe close topic I have trashed it it is worthless and no one will buy it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Using inventory items meant for sale for office use [ 3 Answers ]

How do we treat a case of goods meant (canned drinks) being withdrawned by the manager of a company and used for entertaining some visiting company's bankers during business hours? Should the inventory be treated as a sale or what? Please help with the journal entries to make in the books of...

Using inventory items meant for sale for office use [ 1 Answers ]

How do we treat a case of goods (canned drinks) meant for sale being withdrawn by the manager of a company and used for entertaining some visiting company's bankers during business hours? Should the inventory be treated as a sale or what? Please help with the journal entries to make in the books...

Display items for sale? [ 5 Answers ]

If a store has an ad for a sale item and you go to the store and the only item they have is a display item can we make them sell it to us?

A business selling used items. [ 5 Answers ]

I live in Jacksonville, Florida and have raised four children, by myself, with the help of purchasing items at thrift and consignment stores. Almost every article of clothing, furniture etc. in my home is second hand. At the present time I am very much interested in opening a store of this nature...

View more questions Search