Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pam Berg Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2014, 11:50 PM
    Rental home
    Can I sue a landlord. I was going to rent a home an paid the rent an deposit I got a offer for a home to rent with option to buy so never moved into the home nor did I sign any type of lease nor agreement I only asked for deposit back an she refuses an said she would give it back if I found a new renter. Can I sue for the full amount back?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Nov 4, 2014, 04:51 AM
    Depending on rental laws where you live you should be able to get something back. But not all. You have to understand that the deposit alone represents a contract. A contract of intent. This person that you gave the deposit to removed the unit from the rental based on promises you made. They are entitled to expenses for you breaking that contract.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 4, 2014, 06:19 AM
    If this was a month to month rental, you will owe for the first month. If they move someone in, prior to the end of first month, you will only owe partial month.
    This is a basis and general rule, but may vary on your exact locaton
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 4, 2014, 07:25 AM
    Anyone can sue over anything. The correct question is will you win. The likelihood in this case is that you won't. The purpose of a deposit is to hold something pending completion of the transaction. Unless you have some documentation that the deposit was refundable, the landlord is within their right to hold onto it. They probably took the unit off the market based on your commitment to rent it. Now they have to go back to finding a tenant.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Take ownership of rental home [ 2 Answers ]

I need some help I've been living in my house for 4 years paying all ultilitys since day one. I haven't seen or heard from the landlord in years. The landlord hasn't paid taxes on this house since 2007. How can I get this house in my name before they take it away. I have taken care of this...

Second Home after rental [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. My husband and I purchased a triplex last year and have been living in one of the apartments. We recently had our second child and I am feeling cramped and would like to purchase a single family home for us to live in. We thought we could get another FHA loan, and we thought we could buy...

Asbestos in a rental home [ 5 Answers ]

I just moved to a 60 year old rental home. It is in good condition since it has been renovated so many times. It is also on an air force base. I'm pretty sure it has asbestos in it, most likely the insulation. When we moved in we were told about the places that contained lead paint like the outside...

Lien on rental home [ 1 Answers ]

If a county, tax collector's office, puts a lien on a rental home for failure to pay property taxes and sewer bill. What can happen to me, the tenant? Should I start looking for a new place to live?

Foreclosure on rental home [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a rental home and I received a notice from a lawyer that the house is being forclosed on and that there are 8 claims against my landlord. I just paid rent for this month and am pretty sure that the landlord is not going to give me back my deposit. I moved in 2 months ago and have paid...

View more questions Search