Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    notgoodwithcars Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2007, 12:27 PM
    '89 Civic
    My '89 Civic hatchback has been acting a little weird. It starts fine on the first try but will not start again once turned off. The engine turns over but will not catch. This ends up kiling the battery. Once the engine catches white smike poours out of the exhaust and the car runs very rough developing little power. The car also smells of gas. I have checked the distributor and it does not seem to be cracked. I also have noticed an increased oil consumption.

Could it be the head or bottom gasket? Or a piston ring problem?

Thanks
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2007, 02:20 PM
    Sounds like a head gasket problem. White smoke is probably from coolant. Run a compression check on each cylinder. Pay attention to how pressure builds or doesn't build. Low pressure on two adjacent cylinders is likely a leaking head gasket.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

90 civic [ 4 Answers ]

I have just bought a 1990 honda civic. It hasn't been used for a year. There are a few problems but nothing major yet. Can anyone give me some advice on what should be changed or checked to prevent problems from occurring? Thanks for any help

91 civic [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 91 civic dx and it over heats and now when I start it it dies in 30 sec before I had a problem with it over heating and I replaced the motor it was the same 1.5 dx motor and it sill over heats any thought to what might be the problem with the over heating or the car dying the radiator...

View more questions Search