Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    twlquist Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2014, 04:19 PM
    How can I get the escutcheon nut off? It is STUCK STUCK STUCK!
    After 20 years, I'm changing out the kitchen faucet. Everything is disconnected except one very very tight nut. It's about 2/3 off. The gripping edges are broken. I've tried and tried with the plumbers wrench, but it won't budge. Part of the problem is that everything else is disconnected so it's now really hard to keep a grip. Then, I thought to cut it off, it simply won't fit in the space to cut it off (below). It also not fitting above; the escutcheon plate can be pulled up about 1/2 inch at an angle, but there isn't quite enough room. I tried adding a little soap to the top, but to no avail. What now? Is there some other method to try?
    The nut is the old white plastic kind. I hope someone has some ideas because all the water for the house is off and that can't stay that way for much longer.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Nov 1, 2014, 05:56 PM
    Get a hacksaw blade, put tape around a hand hold area and then cut a slot in the nut to release it.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Nov 1, 2014, 06:33 PM
    I assume the problem is that the nut and shank of the faucet is recessed up behind the sink and is difficult to get to with any kind of tool.

Try drilling the nut into. Start with a small bit such as 1/4". Drill through the nylon nut as close to the shank as possible. After drilling through the nut, then ream the hole out toward the edge of the nut. Then move to a larger bit and repeat process until you have cut the nut into.

Another approach might be to drill lots of small holes through the nut, along side the shank, until the nut looses its grip.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Nov 5, 2014, 07:31 AM
    Do as advised above: take a hacksaw and saw it off. Should go easily as you will be most likely cutting through brass or plastic.

Some hacksaws can have frame that allows you to set blade at 45 degree angle. That's a big help as the angle will keep your cutting hand above sink. Cut carefully so you don't scratch sink surface.

Good luck

Milo
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Nov 5, 2014, 09:27 AM
    We seem to be talking to ourselves here but after a moments thought, a multifunction tool ($20 from Harbor Freight) would make cutting a nylon nut away would be a 30 second job.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stuck valve stem - yes, I did remove the Packing Nut... [ 3 Answers ]

I'm trying to repair a Bathtub faucet (1950s?) I've removed everything (cap, screw, handle, escutcheon & packing nut) on both hot and cold handles, but cannot get them stems out. I've turned them counter clockwise and no dice. I've just sprayed the inside (between stem and tubing?) with...

How to get a stuck packing nut off copper water supply [ 1 Answers ]

I put in a new vanity, new faucet, the shut off valve leaks a tad so I bought a new one but I can't get the old one off,the part where it connects to the copper water supply in the wall,the nut is stuck and I don't want to break any of the plumbing trying to get it off.

Leaking Shower Drain, Bottom Nut Stuck [ 6 Answers ]

Hello All, I am putting a ceiling in an unfinished room below my master bath, but we have a leak from the shower above. I am trying to loosen the bottom nut (already disassembled the top side) but the whole drain is turning. Any ideas how I can break this loose? Thank You, Josh

Stuck shower stem/bonnet nut [ 4 Answers ]

I'm trying to remove the shower stem so that I can take it to a home improvement store and find a replacement. I have a shower stem socket that I am attempting to remove the bonnet nut with, but it won't budge at all, no matter how much leverage I try to apply to it! I'm not sure if maybe I am just...

Nut stuck on threads [ 3 Answers ]

I'm trying to replace the J-joint in my basement laundry room sink, and the nut on the old piece broke - part of it is still on the pipe going to the sink. I've tried spraying it with WD40, but it won't budge. A friend suggested heating it. Any other ideas?

View more questions Search