Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    richnkay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2007, 10:57 AM
    Wedding invititations
    My daughter is marrying a man who has been also married. They both have everything for their household, the question is; how can they politely ask for cards and not presents? Or is there a polite way ?
    Sodium Posts: 250, Reputation: 6

Apr 8, 2007, 11:03 AM
    Just say please no gifts on the invitation lol
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Apr 14, 2007, 03:37 PM
    The most formal etiquette on gift requests - for certain kinds or even for none - is to get the word out subtly by word of mouth but not to mention gifts at all on invitations, as doing so shows that gifts were presumed or expected otherwise.

It's extremely tacky to include those little cards from gift registries in invitations - even in shower invitations. For showers, no mention of gifts should be made on the invitation but when people call to respond, the host should know where they are registered so he/she can answer inquiries.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Apr 14, 2007, 03:51 PM
    What if you do not stand on that much formality? I know I appreciated knowing which gift registry's the couple were registered at and I also appreciated knowing that a couple did not want gifts or money. One invitation I received a couple years ago requested no gifts but if people felt so inclined, they could send whatever they would have spent to a favorite non profit. I suppose that is the height of tacky but it did not bother me. Not talking Martha Stewart or Emily Post here.

When I married I knew which Aunts and Uncles were skinflints and would never part with a nickel unless they were dead. So I wrote a little note in the invitation saying they were welcome and no gifts would be expected or accepted. I really did want them there but did not want them to come grudgingly or not come at all.

If the invitations do not say anything about no gifts, perhaps you can field those kind of questions, when people call you asking.
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Apr 15, 2007, 10:26 AM
    People don't have any obligation to follow etiquette guidelines but if they are trying to avoid any potential offense, it's not a bad way to go.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

About the wedding [ 3 Answers ]

I am getting merried on Saturday and I am trying to find some good songs that can be played at the reception. Is there anyone out there that can give me any names of songs. It can be any song. The group that is going to be there is a mix of young and old as me and the sonn to be are only 26, but on...

Wedding [ 5 Answers ]

I fiancé and I are planning our wedding which started to be a large affair.. However, with everyone’s lack of interest I would just rather elope. My family lives 3000 miles away and I’ve tried communicating by phone with what needs to be done but it just ends up in an argument. My mother is not as...

Wedding Issue [ 37 Answers ]

I graduate on a Saturday in June and someone who I thought was my best friend decided to get married on this same Saturday. I informed her that the time of my graduation was at 12:00 and politely told her I would like to attend her wedding so would she mind having it later in the day. She told me...

Tell me if this is OK for a wedding [ 3 Answers ]

HELP!! OK so the wedding party is tomorrow. My brother in law is getting married. I will not go to the ceramony cause I'm not allowed in the temple because I'm not a member of their religion. But I will be attending the reception. I don't like dresses or skirts. Tell me if this would be nice to...

Wedding help [ 10 Answers ]

Hello! Could use some advice... we live in a rural area where it seems to be custom to asking neighbors (invited as guests) to help clean up the bride/groom's table, doing dishes, setting out food on buffet arranged tables, etc. My husband and I always argue every time I get one of these invites...

View more questions Search