Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amandar2 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2014, 09:26 AM
    The flood
    The water heater blows the T.m.P. valve every time the water is used.I am on a well system there is also a lot of sediment in the well.the water pressure fluctuates dramatically as if the well pump keeps getting triggered,could this be a problem with the bladder tank? If it is the bladder tank could you tell me a way to check it? I have already tested the air valve on top of the bladder tank and only pressurized air came out.this has become a serious problem.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 28, 2014, 02:45 PM
    It is unlikely to be a well problem.

That valve is a Temperature and Pressure release valve (T&P) not TmP.
    It opens to release water if the temperature exceeds specified temperature or if the water pressure exceeds a specified pressure. They come preset. Mine is set to release at 150 pressure or 210 degrees. If your water temperature is that hot you should know it. If the pressure is that high you should also know it.

Unless you water is excessively hot or unless you really get a burst of water when you first open a hot water valve you have a defective T&P valve. Not expensive and fairly easy to replace.
    Turn off cold water input valve to water heater. Open a hot water valve somewhere, then open the water heater drain valve and let it drain for a few seconds.
    Cut the discharge piping coming out of the T&P. Unscrew the T&P valve and replace it. Wrap the threads of the new T&P valve with 4 wraps of Teflon tape or apply pipe joint compound to threads . Screw in new T&P valve. Reconnect discharge piping. Assuming you have copper piping, you can reconnect piping with s soldered coupling. If you do not know how to solder pipe you can reconnect pipe with a Sharkbite push-on coupling.

You should not normally open a T&P valve manually. Sediment can be brought to the valve causing it to not re-seat properly. When that happens they will leak continuously.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Humidifier causes flood? [ 2 Answers ]

Last night I turned the humidifier on for the first time on my new heating system (an entire new gas furnace and air conditioner was installed this summer and this is the first time I needed the humidifier). To do this, I simply turned the knob mounted on the return duct on my unit to about...

Flood in the basement [ 6 Answers ]

We had a flood a few times now, we put two pumps in each window downstairs. It seems to be working, would you suggest anything better? The water would actually go down by the window and build up. Thanks a lot for your generous time.

Flood Insurance [ 1 Answers ]

Are there companies that help with the paperwork that FEMA requires to prove that a house is not in a flood zone? If so, do you know the names or how to find them in the South FLorida area?

Flood her with kindness? [ 5 Answers ]

I got engaged a few weeks ago and I'm really excited! Unfortunately my fiance's sister has a problem with me and I am not quite sure how to handle the situation... See, we used to be friends, but now I can tell she is purposely trying to be rude to me. She won't come straight out and say rude...

View more questions Search