Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Serg40 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2014, 04:20 PM
    If I lost my job do I have to chil support in Peru?
    If I am not working do I have to pay for child support in Peru. I live in the US. Last year I lost my job. My son's mother is requesting $3000.00 a month, she said I owe $45,000.00 plus of child support. Not sure how she came up with that amount. She is lying about me sending money to my son. Prior to this there was no order for me to pay any child support by any judge nor court
    vivia12 Posts: 143, Reputation: 15

Oct 27, 2014, 05:43 PM
    I say do your homework where you can go,the US shouldn't and most likely do not have jurisdiction in some foreign places especially South America
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 27, 2014, 06:03 PM
    Are you in Peru or is the child/mother? If you appear in court and prove your income your support will be based on that.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Oct 28, 2014, 06:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by vivia12
    I say do your homework where you can go,the US shouldn't and most likely do not have jurisdiction in some foreign places especially South America
    OP wrote that he is in the U.S. It appears that the child and his mother are in Peru.

I believe the US state court would have jurisdiction no matter where the child is, however (depending upon the state) retroactive CS (the $45 K) might not be awarded. And most states have child support formulas fixing child support based upon the income of the obligor parent (OP in this case) or of both parents. If OP is not working (and he is not voluntarily unemployed), it is extremely unlikely that he would be ordered to pay the $3,000 per month the mother is demanding.

I don't see that she has actually filed suit (in whatever US state where OP is located). I agree that the Peruvian court might not have jurisdiction.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 28, 2014, 01:36 PM
    Are you a United States citizen? Were you made aware of any court decision in process prior to leaving your home country ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lost job do I loose custody or can I get support in Ca? [ 9 Answers ]

My ex and I have joint physical and legal custody. We split the kids 50/50. I am remarried but my husband doesn't make enough to cover everything we may have to move out of our home. I asked my ex for help and he said he would watch the kids until I get back to work. But I don't want to give up my...

Parental rights and chil support [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Florida and currently have a case open for contempt of Child support and a petition to terminate the father's rights based on abandonment. He had retained an attorney in the past but has informed me today that he has ceased retaining the attorney as of 2/18/09. He claims that he is coming...

Chil custody/support confusion [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I'm a 20 year old marine in NC, I am currently 27 weeks and four days pregnant. The father left to Florida for college for a year and six months this past September. He calls about once or twice a month usually drunk and does not seemm to be to concerned about the pregnancy. He and I are not...

Chil support [ 5 Answers ]

If a child is 18 but still in high school, when does child support stop. When he is 18 or when he gets out of school? {moved from Forum Help-<>}

Chil support [ 2 Answers ]

My husabnd is locked up so he can't paying on his child support and tell he get out how do I go about stop the payment on child support tell he get out because they want to take him to court for it please let me know thank you

View more questions Search