Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ushistory84 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2014, 11:01 AM
    The Civil War
    I know that Robert E. Lee surrendered to Grant at Appomattox Court house, but my History teacher and I disagree on the battle he surrendered at.

I think that it was the battle of Petersburg because that is where Grant broke through Lee's lines, forcing the Army of Northern Virginia to abandon the city, leaving Richmond defenseless.

My history teacher thinks it was Gettysburg because it was the turning point of the war since Lee's plan to invade the North failed.

Who wins?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 25, 2014, 12:17 PM
    What was happening during the Siege of Petersburg, with battles fought between June 1864 to March 1865? When did Lee finally give in and retreat/surrender? My history-trivia son agrees with you that Petersburg is what broke Lee's control, whereas Gettysburg was merely the aftermath.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 25, 2014, 01:25 PM
    Yes, my CANADIAN history lessons agree with you WG. I doubt though that only you could answer what happened on the Plains of Abraham.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 25, 2014, 01:50 PM
    Even though I grew up in western NY, often visiting the Horseshoe Falls (we looked at the American Falls, too, but the Canadian side was so much prettier and cleaner), and spending time in Ontario, you've stumped me.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2014, 10:02 PM
    Gettysburg preceded Petersburg by about a year so it could not be the "aftermath".

The Plains of Abraham (Quebec) was where the deciding battle (1759) between the French and English was fought during the misnamed French and Indian War (aka The Seven Years War). It looms large in Canadian history, and is also famous for both opposing generals (Montcalm and Wolfe) being mortally wounded in the battle.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 26, 2014, 01:16 AM
    The War of Aggression against the South, as it may be known if you are from the south. In which the Federal Government took away the State rights. ** We certainly do not have any state rights today compared to what the US Constitution gave states.

But in reality there was no one real determining battle since there was a progression, and even a long line of battles even after the surrender.

This time line may help

This Day in the Civil War
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 26, 2014, 09:36 AM
    I mistyped. Appomattox (not Gettysburg which was in 1863, mid-war), was the aftermath.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 26, 2014, 11:33 AM
    @Athos. I was testing WG because I am always pointing out that Canadians know more US history then US know about Canadian.
    Yes, and the Plains of Abraham is still there in front of the Hotel Frontenac in Quebec City.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 26, 2014, 12:20 PM
    Until we moved to western NY in 1955, I had never thought of Canada as having fought any battles, been in any wars. The Canadians I saw on our travels and in my reading were so peaceful and clean and friendly and family oriented and had much better KFC restaurants than the U.S. did. I had always thought of Canadians as adventurers and trappers and explorers, a brave and hardy lot.
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2014, 11:46 PM
    WG - You'd make a great diplomat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Civil war on the right [ 42 Answers ]

Hello: People like Sarah Palin, Ted Cruz, the Birthers, and the shut it down group, have been the TAIL wagging the dog. Up till now, the dog didn't seem to mind. Now, it appears they DO mind, and they wanna break up. How's it gonna work out? excon

Civil war [ 83 Answers ]

Hello: Let me tell you how a civil war can start right here in this great country of ours... I'm a lib. I believe in ONE view of America. Some of you are conservatives. You believe in ANOTHER view of America. But, I DON'T believe you're my enemy. I'm NOT sure you view ME in that same...

Civil war [ 3 Answers ]

What kinds of jobs did they have in the civiil war?:)

Civil war [ 1 Answers ]

What was the capital of the north and the south during the civil war?:confused:

Civil War [ 1 Answers ]

The 'North' and the 'South' were not different nations. I'd base my argument around defining a nation (no easy job). Then, go onto who benefits from calling it "War of aggression"? it’s a highly emotive name. In what ways did events fit that description? And Who benefits from calling it...

View more questions Search