Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anig24 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2007, 09:27 AM
    Possible Charges for Vilation of Probation
    Hi,

I am a little confused right now and need an outside source for some answers. My husband is in jail in one county of NJ for possession and paraphonaila and because of this he violated probation which I understand. He has his voilation of probation this month and the charge son the violation are for the new charges. My 1st question is: Can he be put in jail at this point if he did not have the court date for his indictment or is there anything else that he could say to put it off until that court date? The reason for this is my husband wants to go to rehab right not for his problem but I am hestiate because I am not sure what he is facing on April 27th? So I don't want to waste money bailing him out for two weeks. My 2nd questions is: How long will he have to wait for a court hearing of these new charges? He has already been in jail 3 months and nothing has been sent yet. This is all new to me because I was not with him through the right incident so I am not sure how the courts work especially in NJ. Any help would be appreciated.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2007, 10:01 AM
    Hello anig:

Lots of people think there's a "way" the courts work, and if they knew that, then they could figure everything out. The problem with that, is that there isn't "a way" the courts work. Every charge is different, with different circumstances, with different inmates, with different records, and different family's with different amounts of cash, all resulting in different possible outcomes, with each outcome affecting each succeeding outcome.

What I'm saying is, that there is NO answer at this time. It's a step by step process, until he's all done and free. That process is going to take a long time. Certainly until he's off probation. As he progresses along the way, there will be many times when he's faced with a situation like this, where there's NO answer - just the best course of action to take based upon the circumstances that present themselves.

I say the above, because you clearly don't understand what your husband is facing. That's fine. That's not a criticism. Lot's of lawyers don't understand either. I say that too, because the best help you can give him right now, is an attorney.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 8, 2007, 01:04 PM
    Yes, I know first hand of people that wait in jail for 10 or so months before their cases get to trial. People watch CSI on TV and think that crime labs will have their results in 20 minutes, it normally took us 8 months to get the results of drugs we sent in to the crime lab.

So in many ways it is hard as excon said, to have any for sure.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drop Charges in FL [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! New here, I recently went through some things with my now ex. I had an injunction taken out, filed charges to be picked up by the state, etc. We have talked over the phone, just tonight, and want to stop going after each other, we agree that it is over completely, but I am pregnant and don't...

Expungment of charges [ 1 Answers ]

I was arrested in Memphis, TN. In 1992 for theft of property under $500.00. I was sentenced to probation 11/29 on this charge. In 1994 I was arrested again in Memphis for the same thing. This time I served 94 days in a county facility. I've not been arrested since, can I have these charges expunged...

Theft but no charges? [ 4 Answers ]

Does anyone know of instances where you were caught shoplifting in a grocery chainstore by their in house loss prevention officer and the police are called, but the police did not end up laying down charges for theft? Did the loss prevention officer have influence over the possibility of having...

Shoplifting charges [ 2 Answers ]

Hello This is my story : Yesterday evening I went to a supermarket and I bought a sandwich, a soda, a carspray, a loaf of bread and a cheesecake. I went to my car and clipped a coupon from the cheesecake. That coupon was good for 2 $ and the discounted price of the cake was 1.99 so...

View more questions Search