Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lee1985 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2007, 09:09 AM
    Opening/closing stock adjustments
    Hi I'm hoping someone can help me..

I've got a set of accounts for some coursework and as I'm trying to do this over the easter holiday I'm stuck and need someone to ask!
    I pretty much know what I'm doing except for this,
    In my trial balance I have stock at 1st jan, then later I have an adjustment to make: closing stock 12,500.
    Now I've done my extended trial balance with both opening and closing stock in, which I assume is correct because it balances perfectly.
    But how do I put both of them into my balance sheet? e.g. are they two separate current assets, or do I take the closing away from the opening stock, or something completely different? I hope that makes sense because as you can probably tell, I'm a little confused!

Thanks in advance.. lee
    studentaccount Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2007, 04:13 AM
    in your income statement both figures should be shown so say your opening inventories (opening stock) is 15,000

Income Statement Extract

sales... 20,000

- cost of goods sold
    opening stock - 15,000

+ purchases - 5,000
    - closing stock 12,500

Cost of goods sold 7,500

GROSS PROFIT 12,500

Balance Sheet Extract

Current Assets

Stock (CLOSING STOCK) 12,500

hope that helps...

both of them don't go in the balance sheet just the closing stock.. the opening stock is valued in the income statement...

hope I helped

p.s. also I'm guessing that the "so called" adjustment is just shown in the footnote of the question
    like:

Note:
    1. Closing stock is valued at 12,500
    ** more amendments etc.. **

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accounting for treasury stock used in stock dividend [ 1 Answers ]

How do I account for treasury stock use in a stock dividend for preferred stock? What would the journal entry by? I don't believe I should debit retained earnings for this transaction, but I'm not sure what account to debit. Please Help

Stock provision and over valuation of stock [ 4 Answers ]

can anyone send me double entry for stock provision ? Provision amount is 200,000. further stock is over valued by 100,000 what will be the accounting entry for over valuation of stock. Early response will be of immmmmense help for me:o

Absorption Costing - Opening stock and closing stock query? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi guys, I have an absorption costing query on the profit statement, here are the notes: Selling price per unit = £20 Sales for year 1 = 10,000 Production = 20,000 Production Cost Per Unit = £10 YEAR ONE

Accounting closing adjustments [ 1 Answers ]

Are the following correct? Are the following accounts closed with a debit or credit or not closed at all: 1. Sales Revenue = closed with a debit 2. Sales returns and allowances = closed with a credit 3. salary expense = closed with a credit 4. inventory = closed with a debit 5....

View more questions Search